'83 Aspencade, handle brake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to know this fast please. getting a bike tonight, and the ad didn't say that anything was wrong. i talked to the gentelman and he said the only thing wrong, is that the handle brake to the back, doesn't work. my questions is... how much would it cost to fix this? or how hard is it to fix. i NEED to know this by 550pm...
thx

Handle brake to the back doesn't make sense.

The "handle" I would think means the front brake handle. The "pedal" would be the back brake.

Maybe he means the pedal for back brake?

Sometimes the problem with these is the pivot get's frozen.
Often soaking it with penetrating oil frees it up but it could also be a leaking master cylinder or rear brake caliper problems.

Repairs range from $50 to $200 for seals if you do the repairs yourself.
The 83 uses a special rear master cylinder which can be very hard to find even used if it's not rebuildable.

I'll PM my phone number to you if you have questions when looking at it.

Awesome, thanks. I might have got mixed up... he said the hand brake doesn't work. but he said the aspencade is the only goldwing that the pedal brake is 'dual? he said it brakes the front and back brakes. may i ask you, if that is the only thing wrong, do you think it is worth 2K? has 63K miles on it.
again thanks

Front brake is easier and less expensive to repair on the 83's so that's a good thing.

$2k?
Hmm, if it's in real good condition otherwise then I'd say yes.
Definately yes here in California but everything goes for more $ here. Your local market may be worth less, That I don't know.

Make sure it's complete and all original for that price.
Typically the clear coat will have some flaking.
Trick accessories and chrome are a bonus but they don't really add much to the bottom line value.

thanks for you assistance Dan. much appreciated. i have a gl1100 '83 gold wing interstate.... but lots wrong, so going to sell for parts, or maybe keep for parts IF the interstate and Aspencade uses the same type of parts.... again, thank you very much.

after picking it up, it is just the hand brake switch. the brakes work, but the switch doesn't work. he said just change it with the I, take 2 little screws out, and put the other one on, then connect the wires and thats it. I am going to try that Friday night.
its a very sweet bike!!! very excited to go ride again.. thanks for all the help/information.

On an '83 Interstate, the front (hand) brake light switch is held on with only 1 screw, and has 2 wires attached to it. New ones are available for around $15, if I remember right... Enjoy the new toy, and we want pics!!!

put one pic out there in my album... first time ever doing that. After i take a few more, i will add them. thanks for all the help!! :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81836#p81836:3c8egrq7 said:
Steve83 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 am[/url]":3c8egrq7]On an '83 Interstate, the front (hand) brake light switch is held on with only 1 screw, and has 2 wires attached to it. New ones are available for around $15, if I remember right... Enjoy the new toy, and we want pics!!!

do you have a part number? i asked someone at the Hitching post (closest bike shop) and i just wasn't comfortable that they knew the correct part. Plust they said it would be (the part the said ) around $30.00... now if prices went up, thats fine.. but just want to make sure i hav the correct one.
thx

:salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86263#p86263:2au7qlir said:
Steve83 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 pm[/url]":2au7qlir]35340-MA5-671 is the number the Honda Parts Manual shows for all '82 and '83 GL1100 front stoplight switches.

thank you.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81836#p81836:p546seir said:
Steve83 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 am[/url]":p546seir]On an '83 Interstate, the front (hand) brake light switch is held on with only 1 screw, and has 2 wires attached to it. New ones are available for around $15, if I remember right... Enjoy the new toy, and we want pics!!!

ok, finally got the part in, had to order it from Larson Cycles... but now, i have no idea how to install it. The other one wasn't there, so don't know how it is suppose to go in... or work.
there is one screw, and 2 wires (by the way cost me 22.00) there is a part on it that has a pin that pushes in and out like a pen... do you have any videos (i learn by watching) or even pics of how it all hooks up? I know the wires connect to the wire connectors... and i know you screw it on.. but i can't figure out which way. every way i try, it acts like it doesn't fit. But Larsons assures me, it is the correct part.

again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

This is a shot of the underside looking at the switch, 83 interstate.
(Click for large gallery image)

Let me know if that works for you.
If not I could pull it off and take closer pics of what it looks like.

If it doesn't already have a switch then it fits just like the one in this pic. If it has a switch that doesnt work remove the screw and pull the switch out of the hole and install the new one.
T2eC16dyME9s5qIGLfBR2Ji3YBfw60_57_zps4541dac4.jpg

that pics looks exactly like what i have... thanks..
bad part, i didn't knwo i had to order the stupid screw too. i thought it would come with the part... URgg..
but i am going to see if i can find a screw that fits tonight.. .and get that sucker on.

thanks again...

Latest posts