83 Aspy Help needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said that the starter looked brand new. I had bought a new one off Ebay that didn't work. Sent it back for an exchange. The new one didn't work either. Same symptoms as you have on both new ones. Pulled the new one and took the gear head off. It had no gears in it, just the armature shaft machined to fit the chain sprocket. Rebuilt the original and put well over 60K on it.

Ok folks, Finally got a new battery in, also got a new starter and solenoid. I tried hooking up everything and couldn't get the lights to come on. So I wend back to the old relay, still nothing. Got the lights to come on when I hooked up a car battery to the pos and neg leads but still no turning. Jumped straight to the lug on the new starter and it just "tried" to turn over. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit to add:
Allright, I kind of forgot to add that my Father was an electrical genius. So the problem was with the ground. He had installed a cutoff switch that bridged with the ground going to the voltage regulator. I hadn't even thought about it until I had burned up my last 30 amp fuse.... New fuses, ground hooked back up and i got the engine turned over with the spark plugs in by jumping the posts on the new solenoid. :Egyptian:

Next step, i thought the starter switch might be malfunctioning so apart it came, cleaned up the contacts (also found a very frayed throttle cable :shock: ) and still no action. I'm going to try and get the old solenoid to work since that seems to be the issue. Thanks for being there!

Edit 2: I think it's the solenoid. I have power everywhere I should but when pushing the button there's no power transfer across the poles of the solenoid....Got a crap solenoid. Guess I have to order another one. Any suggestions?

I was going to suggest what I did by using a Ford truck type solenoid but probably easier and better to stick with stock style.
Western Honda seems to be a good source, though an eBay search may bring some options also. I haven't looked.

Western honda in AZ? I got the last solenoid from Ebay. yeah. I went the cheap route. Used to be someone on here that had some?

That's what I thought. Couldn't find any reviews on them. There was a similar question on another Wing site but no answers there either.

Well the manifold is similar to others made for some time. The carb is one of the easiest to set up. So to me it's not a big risk or a bad deal. A little pricey but not unreasonable.

overall personally i dont like stock intake horns for single set ups ...but 99% of whats out there is that way...past that i agree with slab it will work fine .....and as said tuning is everything ....and it will work ...has been done...and its just sticking with it to match your bike ....

Sticking with it - continue to adjust to the needs of the bike until no further gain is to be had. AKA dialed in.

Well, I contacted the folks on ebay that I got my solenoid from. They are sending me another one. I'll try it but as soon as I have the money I'll order an oem one from western honda.