83 interstate and aspencade do they use different wiring harnesses?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83gl1200

Reaction score
There are so many extra connectors on my interstate, I'm wondering if they share the same harness. The reason I ask is I would like to ditch the analog guages and install a didital dash from an aspencade. Are the harnesses different from year to year is another question, because I'd like to use a later model digital dash off a 1200 if possible.

I guess I would also need sending units for speedo and tach?

:smilie_happy: YOUR WANTING TO MUCH ... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: this is a lot to shoot for ...better have lots of ammo is my thinking

i havnt a clue really blacklander might ...it seems to me in the tech section ...that the wiring harness are different :mrgreen: for 1100s

Interesting...my '83 Interstate had no extra connectors, other than the extra power leads in the fairing. The digital dash and suspension air pump would require quite a few wiring differences. As Joe mentioned, look in the Gallery, way down past the service manuals, and you'll find the wiring diagrams. Big difference between the Interstate and Aspy.

:headscratch: :headscratch: Don't start me to lying. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: Never thought about it much. Seems like the basic systems as far as what it takes to crank, run and lights to work would be the same. I know the Interstate and Aspy instrument panels have different wiring diagrams on the 1200's but I don't know how they match up with the 1100 wiring.

From my experience working on my '83 Aspy, aside from the basic functions for ignition and such, they have completely different wiring harnesses ... I just got done swapping out my digital dash for analog gauges; the opposite of what you want. I had to swap out the top tree to fit the gauges as the bolt pattern on the digital and analog are different. Then had to replace the fuel pump for one with the mechanical gear so I could run a tach cable plus replace the electronic speed sensor for a mechanical one to run a speedo cable. Then there was the wiring; the harnesses don't match up so I had to redo the connectors so they could match up. The main problem I had, was using the wiring diagram from the Chilton. It only goes to '83 Interstate and it wasn't until I found a diagram for an '83 Aspy that I could make any serious headway ...
Hope this helps you out

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126000#p126000:3ov48jtw said:
Grumpy_Chef » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:45 pm[/url]":3ov48jtw]
From my experience working on my '83 Aspy, yes, they have completely different wiring harnesses ... I just got done swapping out my digital dash for analog gauges; the opposite of what you want. I had to swap out the top tree to fit the gauges as the bolt pattern on the digital and analog are different. Then had to replace the fuel pump for one with the mechanical gear so I could run a tach cable plus replace the electronic speed sensor for a mechanical one to run a speedo cable. Then there was the wiring; the harnesses don't match up so I had to redo the connectors so they could match up. The main problem I had, was using the wiring diagram from the Chilton. It only goes to '83 Interstate and it wasn't until I found a diagram for an '83 Aspy that I could make any serious headway ...
Hope this helps you out

Perfect help, thanks...

I guess I'll have to find some kind of aftermarket digital setup, or forget the whole thing for now. Maybe if I keep this bike long enough I'll do a frame off restore one day and mix and match parts including changing wiring harness. It would have to wait until I have a bigger shop space, and after finding a cheap aspy parts bike.

Thanks again.

Latest posts