'83 interstate forks leaking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am taking people here on their word that if a person takes there time, and gets advice from here... and goes slow... there is nothing that a person cannot fix on their bike.

with that said... i had a diagnostic check on my bike from a cycle shop... they said both my front forks are leaking and should be fix down the road soon. What does that mean? and will i hurt my bike riding it if i ride until winter? and what do i need to do to fix this problem... i don't know if you need more info or not.. but that is what they said... and i do see oil coming from the forks or some type of lubrication.

again... thanks for any advice you have...

LOVE RIDING... been riding non-stop since i got my license 3 months ago... :):) :yahoo:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride! Oil leaking means less oil in the forks for one thing! The thing you really have to watch with leaking fork seals is that the fork oil leaks onto the front brake pads and not only ruins them, but makes it real hard to stop!

Yes, take your time and be deliberate and there is not much that cannot be fixed on these bikes except the elusive engine knock that some bikes have (search engine knock).

Fork seals are pretty easy to do. Once you have the bike down to where you are ready to take the forks off, it only takes about 15 minutes per side to replace them.

As stated the leakage can make it hard to stop. The longer they leak the worse the handling will become also. I have ridden with bad fork seals but do not recommend it. Your bike your choice and your hide.

I know a couple guys have forks leaking quite a bit and they just keep wiping the oil off.
Surprising how much oil can seem to be coming out when it's not all that much.

I have a seal seeping slowly but I ride it. Not enough to be concern to me yet but I'm the mechanical type that watches these things closely for any change.
I plan to ride it til it gets so bad I have no choice to fix it.

Sooo ... how does one go about fixing it? Do i need to buy new forks? or is it just a seal or O-ring or something?
and can someone point me to a place where there is step by step procedure??

thx :beg:

Hmmmmm, we had a step by step at one point, but that may have been in a previous life for this Forum. If I get a chance, I can write one up...but for the moment we are preparing for hurricane Irene to say hello!

Latest posts