83 Interstate rebuild my way!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I guess it's time to start documenting this project otherwise I'll forget half of it. :smilie_happy: To start I forgot my camera in the shop so pictures "will follow" so to speak.

Because I am in BC visiting family for Christmas I went to see a supplier of Vintage Goldwing parts I know and have used before. Somewhere recently I read on a post about some aftermarket gauges with the Goldwing logo on the faces and remembered seeing some on his site. https://www.straightwings.com Scooped the set of three air gauges and also a matching oil pressure gauge. Not sure how or where I'll mount them yet but we'll see. I also picked up a nice set of polished fork legs for the right price that will save me a lot of work doing mine. :roll:

Anyone with a GL1000 project might find it worth visiting his site because he has a very rare four into one exhaust listed for sale. I was tempted to put it away for the 78 but it is on the wrong side for what I want. I plan to build one for the 83.

For now I'm set on the Weber carb, the C5 ignition and the Superwedge fairing. When Rider tested it in 77 they got a 15% increase in mileage. When installed on the same test bike used to test an old Dustbin racing fairing the Superwedge allowed the bike to get another 600 rpm in top gear. We'll see how that works.

I've got to check out the 1200 parts bike I have in the shop. Thinking about using the front end complete with wheel and brakes but have to decide if I feel there would be enough advantage to make it worth while. Not sure on that one.

I find myself leaning toward making this a fast and comfortable long distance bike. Not sure yet. I've always been interested in the "Trip Trunk" setup and if I use a good solo seat and build my own version of the trip trunk it can be more streamlined with the top section more forward to give me a backrest and better air flow off the back. I have a customer that uses a one wheel trailer we built behind an 1800 GL. He says the trailer is close enough that it improves the airflow off the back of the bike and he actually gets better mileage with it behind.
Aerodynamics are where some cars win over motorcycles to help mpg.

Hope to get more of my shop cleaned out tomorrow (been a big storage space for over ten yrs) and see what I can find out about the bike I bought for this project. Get the broken plastic stripped off in preparation for turning it into a standard again to get it certified and titled again.
If I have time I'll pick up a cheap camera and get some pics.

Borrowed my sisters camera and got a few photos today. Unfortunately I downloaded them into my dropbox and haven't figured out how to get them out yet. :smilie_happy: Did I mention I hate computers???

Anyway, took a little better look at the bike today. Fairing and bags are toast. The stock fork brace is broken although the forks don't look to be bent. Won't know for sure until I get them off the bike. Front brake lines are braided but as usual the rear isn't. Not really a problem though as I will be changing things anyway and I can make my own braided lines. The battery is toast due to a lack of liquid and three or four months of sitting. Seat, side covers and fairing lowers are all good.

Had to go to my Nieces place for the second turkey dinner today so didn't get much done. :good: Hope to get the bike up on the lift tomorrow and strip off some of the broken stuff. Want to pull the plugs and give it a squirt of oil and see if it will spin over. If the fuel tank looks good inside I might be able to drain it and put a bit of new gas in and try to start it. I will check the oil first. :yes: Actually after sitting so long I'll disconnect the fuel line from the pump and prime the carbs first. Once it gets an electric fuel pump that won't be an issue any more.

Got a little more done today but I seem to be having a lack of ambition period. :lazy: Must be an age thing. Or too much Turkey!

Got the broken plastic off. Removed about five pounds of non stock wiring mess including a PIAA relay. Wish they'd left the lights on too. Main piece of the rear fender is bent and rusted. Pretty sure now at least one of the fork tubes is bent. Too bad as they were the first pair I've seen in a while with no rust. Oil looks pretty clean and the level is correct. Both the lowers came off ok. Small crack in one but I can fix that. The rack and bag mount framework is bent but I have another if needed. Also a lot of things on my 82 parts bike I can use. Too bad the fork tubes are rusty. Tank looks good inside and the gas actually does not smell that bad but I'll drain and replace with some fresh to try starting it. Put a little Sea Foam in for good measure.

I was going to spend the day in the shop with the 83 but once again things got in the way. Stopped by the fiberglass shop to see how the molds were coming for the new sidecar and we discovered a problem. Spent some time there helping to solve but better now than after we make a bunch of parts that don't fit.

Did manage to pull the plugs which showed the engine guards (at least the left side) are bent. Hooked up a spare battery and turned it over a few times. Ok so far. Unfortunately the battery is low from sitting and won't turn it over with the plugs in so that will be tomorrow. Seems the word "tomorrow" keeps appearing far too often in this build. :oops:

Found a place near by that has do it yourself sand/bead blasting. Will check them out later this week. I was thinking of getting a smaller blast cabinet just for glass beads but this should be a much cheaper solution I hope. Might as well make an attempt at making it look good too.

Think I'm going to stick with the stock front end and wheel for now. I'm building a set of links for the other 83 with sidecar and am considering putting the 1200 wheel on there. Already stole the front 1200 master cylinder to make the 78 brakes work better I hope along with the complete 84 hydraulic clutch. Sure would be nice to complete one of these projects. :smilie_happy:

Is the bent frame,only in the swingarm? If so, to replace with another, is easy enough,with plenty of choices out there.

No. That would be too easy. The actual frame is bent. Once I get the bike stripped I'll figure how much time to fix it or just cut the section out of the 80 parts bike and replace the bent piece. I learned to do body work in the pre-bondo era :roll: so I know how to straighten metal.
For now this bike will sit for a few weeks but I plan to continue with the single carb build using an old engine and my other 83 sidecar rig. I'll get the carb and some other parts ordered next week.
Might have to throw the 83 carbs on my 80 parts bike and see if that engine is any good while I'm at it. I've got a good 78 motor also but I might be putting that in a golf cart used at the race track. We'll see.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106542#p106542:1it7yxxr said:
joedrum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:45 pm[/url]":1it7yxxr]
what a great video ... wing powered golf cart smoking down the track for an ET run

Not the purpose I hope to build it for but it would be interesting. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107354#p107354:355pori5 said:
sparrowhawkdesign » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:15 pm[/url]":355pori5]
Putting this here for now. Will start a carb only thread when ready. Too much to do to bike first.

Carb heat!
Cool!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107354#p107354:wt99eksi said:
sparrowhawkdesign » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:15 pm[/url]":wt99eksi]
Putting this here for now. Will start a carb only thread when ready. Too much to do to bike first.

Carb heat!

So are you thinking of running warm oil through plenum?

Latest posts