'83 Interstate Resurrection And Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up an '83 Interstate in Pasadena for $560 as a project bike. I didn't realize what an involved project it would become, but that's cool. I'm figuring 1 to 2 years on this, a little at a time as finances permit.

I did a full restoration on a '75 back in '93. Then I did a minor restoration on an '80 last year, and I have an '80 parts bike now. I guess I have GoldWing fever!

I've started uploading pics into my gallery, so feel free to check them out.

This is what I'm starting with:

image.php

(Image link fixed, df)

Looks like your on the right track.

And MBS is a problem with many here, I really don't see it as a problem, but my wife............................................. :sensored:

Oldewing":mdohktqo said:
Looks like your on the right track.

And MBS is a problem with many here, I really don't see it as a problem, but my wife............................................. :sensored:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is MBS? :headscratch:

I see what looks like one of those "Drive Off" center stands....neat! Looks like a fine project to me. :good: :good:

Steve83":hngchwor said:
Gotcha! I thought it might mean "men behaving stupidly" or "much bulls--t" - cool!
Well we do a lot of that here too. :smilie_happy:

Well, it's been quite a while, but I'm finally workin' on the '83 again. After I discovered a major dent in the frame, our fearless leader Dan was good enough to give me the one off his parts bike. It cleaned up nicely, and with a shot of gloss black paint, it looks pretty good. This shot was taken last Friday, August 16.

After rebuilding all 3 calipers and both master cylinders, the unified brakes were installed. The swingarm received new bearings and was torqued into place.

New steering head bearings...

The wiring harness and components were all cleaned up and installed, along with the triple tree and forks. I'll rebuild the forks and TRAC units next month.

Thank goodness for color coding!!!

Gas tank, final drive and wheels, radiator, and fairing were next, then the battery and a complete electrical system check.

My brother and I lifted her down to the floor, and I started installing accessories...

I still need a new front tire and to build the engine. I should have the final parts - rod bearings - in a few days, and I can start that phase of the build. I'm also still debating what to do about the paint scheme...

The bags and trunk I bought from dfgunner look so much better than what was on here! It's nice to have trunk lid hinges that work!

Finally, a little video of the audio system. The installation is in another post.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCHeCsLsMsg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Once you got rid of that rats nest you were finally able to see the real gem that was awaiting your attention. As always great work Steve :clapping:

I feel like a new father - my baby is alive! After machine work (honing), new rings, main, rod and transmission bearings, timing belts, water pump, all seals and gaskets, heads and valves restored, carbs, oil pumps and starter rebuilt, and endless hours of cleaning and sorting, the moment of truth...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm40Bd0HBbc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As soon as my gauges arrive, I'll sync the carbs - they're WAY off, and I need to pick up a timing light for the ignition timing. It'll be easy with the engine on the table. It should sound a bit better with the exhaust leaks fixed.

I'm thrilled! I didn't know if this day would ever come...

By the way, all 4 rod bearings have drilled oil passages, so I'll keep an eye on the right side for any oil burning. Shouldn't be a problem.

wow ... did you see that motor just sit there ....steve its sounding sweet.....and this video is obvious proof of why these motors last so long ... sheesh what great work ....im sure the classic west coast wrenchers are going to make a super thread and video on 1100 c5 install .... super job steve

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94831#p94831:eddlizw7 said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 am[/url]":eddlizw7]
wow ... did you see that motor just sit there ....steve its sounding sweet.....and this video is obvious proof of why these motors last so long ... sheesh what great work ....im sure the classic west coast wrenchers are going to make a super thread and video on 1100 c5 install .... super job steve

I would have thought that motor would have been vibrating it's way off the table for sure. :shock: Try that with any V-twin. :smilie_happy:

Nice work Steve!