83 turn signals, two flasher modules and hazard lights?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83gl1200

Reaction score
My bike is a frankensteined monster and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the turn signals working.

The wiring diagram for an 83 standard on this site doesn't show this bike as having two three prong flasher modules like my bike has, and it doesn't show a hazard light switch like my bike has.

https://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL110 ... ematic.jpg

Maybe my wire harness is from another year bike?

Also just fyi I have an 84 1200 motor in this bike and a cdi, not two spark modules.

What year wiring harness might I have given all these non standard things? 84? I need to find the correct wiring diagram.

When I connect orange wire and light blue wire from guage cluster to the same color wires on turn signals my indicator lights on the cluster are backwards. I have to connect orange to light blue and vise versa to get them to indicate the proper side which is on. I can't get the flashers to work, either hazard or turn flasher, and I'm hesitant to try wiring in the new electronic flasher I bought not knowing what's up with this non standard wiring.

Is there a hazard light switch on the bars? Have you verified the year of the bike with the sticker on the neck? Some places used sale date as year of bike for the title.

Yes the turn signal switch assembly on the bars has a hazard switch on top. Slides left to right.
The sticker on the frame confirms it is an 83 standard, I checked.
I am told the engine is an 84 as that is the only year 1200 which would fit in my frame without frame modification. (and my frame isn't modified)

This bike is highly customized with the 1200 engine upgrade and cdi, and I only just recently started to tackle the turn signals then i see the wiring diagram doesn't fit what I have with cdi, two flasher modules, hazard switch...

What years 1100 or 1200 has two (three prong) flasher modules cdi and hazard lights?

1200 engine may have precipitated a 1200 wiring harness. As for 84 being the only one that will fit 1100 frame that is incorrect. Any 1200 will fit right in with no frame modification. The advantages of using the 84 is the ignition is at the back like an 1100 and the clutch mechanism from either can be used. I'd check to see if the wiring matches for a 1200 model. Maybe an aspy?

Well I looked over a few schematics, the closest I could find to what I seem to have is the 84. (but it doesn't show it as having two flashers or hazards that I could see) My fuse box has 5 blade type fuses though and that seems to match the 84 diagram not the 83.

That 84 schematic shows the flasher getting one ground line, one 12v line, and one line to the switch or lights, but when I measure voltages on that connector I have two lines with 12v and one floating that isn't ground.

Another weird thing I noticed about my bike is that the lock position on the ignition leaves power going to the accessory line but off position and on work properly. I think there's more mismatched parts going on here. Doesn't look simple to figure out.

Any ideas?

Try using the diagram for 84 and concentrate on just the signal lights first. Ignore the hazard lights. My 84 standard does not have hazard lights if that helps any.

ok thanks.

What is the 9 pin flasher control module in the 84 schematic? Is that an electronic box I can do without? I don't see this on my bike. Maybe a picture of what it looks like could help, I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than something with a 9 pin connector.

Not sure I'll have to look at it when I get back got to go out for a few. 84 has self canceling signals so it might be for that.

Signal cancel unit is 9 pin. Looks like gray from the flasher feeds the turn signal switch. White green looks to be power to the flasher. And green to ground.

Latest posts