84 Interstate/ trailer tie down

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowesnest3

Reaction score
My 80/1100 has very handy rails just under the Vetter where the rachet straps hook up to giving a real nice secure angle for tie down. What is the best way to tie down the Interstate for a trailer ride? The upper engine crash bar?

Best points to tie down for bikes I've always found to be as high as possible.
Usually I tie onto the handle bars down low where they bolt on then pull the forks down tight.
Not sure if the Vetter will block doing this though.

... thats my understanding also, on the 80 with a Vetter III there is a great hook up just under the vetter at the forks, but on the interstate, the fairing really seems to prohibit a good spot on the bars, don't think tying down right next to or around throttle, clutch, brake cables is a good thing, my Interstate, has the wrap around wind screen which inhibits a tie down that would pull the bike down and forward into front wheel chock/brace .... been my understanding that front tie down should compress the front forks tight ..... don't know if these same hook ups as on the 80 are also on the upper forks of the 84 ..... just bringing the 84 to its new home so don't have it to look at .....

No I wouldn't tie on at the grips either. Leverage would probably bend the bars.
Might be limited to tieing on at the inner ends of the engine guards but I might be inclined to removing the fairing lowers to tie onto the upper frame so the forks can be pulled down.

....... took a look at my 80 to confirm what I have hooked up to so well and its the frame for the Vetter III, so I'm wondering if the frame work for the Honda fairing is as accessible for a tie down, think I'll look at the specs in the Honda manual or Clymers you've got probably all of them in the "library" .... crowe ... :Egyptian: