86 aspencade will not idle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Buck

Reaction score
I am a new GW owner, i have always wanted one but never could pick one up on my budget. i now have an 86 aspencade 1200 that had been parked for 7 yeas will all fluids still in the bike. The bike was all pulled apart with the exception of the tires and motor. After many parts and rebuild kits and now waiting on new tires, we were just about to take her for a test drive. After cleaning out and rebuilding the carbs and airbox and setting it up with a mercury gauge, we had her running and idling good. The bike sat for about 3 weeks and now we were about to take her out for a test drive we cannot get the bike to idle. If you choke it she will start up and run good, when you try to take it off choke she dies out. I believe i have all of the vacuum lines hooked up correctly (since we did have it running good 3 weeks ago). I know basic mechanics and i have a co-worker who knows bikes, but he is lost for ideas. Like a lot of other GW restorers, money is tight so i just don't want to try buying parts, plus i would not know what to get. Can anyone out here give me an idea on what to look for?

I have an '85 GL1200, so I'll offer two cents worth, maybe. The most important thing about a carburated fuel system is that it is TIGHT. The first thing I would check are the large O-rings in the bottom of the intake elbows, where the carb/intake system meets the cylinder head. If they're about flat with the elbow flange replace them. About $20 the last set I bought. If you cannot get a carbed scooter to idle steadily you have an air leak almost every time. MHO

Since this is a recently awakened bike. It might be possible that some trash might have broken loose in the fuel tank and plugged the fuel filter or gotten into a few low speed jets. I'd also check for air leaks at all the carb connections with a can of start spray. Keep it running and spray connections. Any sudden change of rpm indicates an air leak.

Recently we were working on a
81 which wouldn't run worth a damn.
Discovered dude A thought dude B tightened the carbs down to the heads.
Dude B did not.
Ran sweet when tight.

Take a step back and go over everything.
Often it's the simple things.

Thanks guys, i will let you know what i find, hope it is something simple. I was not sure about the small valve under the airbox or the one on the right side behind the air box, we will see. Thanks again.

Latest posts