A free 81 gl 1100 for me in Alaska

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverado6x6

Reaction score
I was given a basket case 1100 today, I already have restored an 80 cx500d and an 83 cx650c.
The carbs are gone, probably sold, number 3 cylinder full of rusty water, number 4 had very little, 1 and 2 had intake valves closed so I may luck out, I think you call this the interstate model, full front fairing with two kinds of exotic radios one a locking clarion, has seat and the passenger top trunk, has rear bag rails but no side bags.
Engine is currently locked up, drained oil that had about a quart of water, main harness has been chopped, most plastic is there, calipers are off and hanging, front tire shot.
Being a master mechanic with a complete shop at work for my disposal this will be my restoration project, I will get pics when I can.

I was posting this thread on my tablet at my lady friends house before I headed home, my day job is maintenance supervisor at a family owned concrete batch plant, been there 18 years, many people look me up for atv and snowmachine repair work.
Only got into classic Honda bikes about 4 years ago, just painted the tank, Vetter fairing and other trim on my 1980 CX500 deluxe.

Anyway I was out garage sale hopping saturday when I saw this bike in the front yard of a house, nobody home so I left a note, got a call today while I was delivering concrete, they tell me to just come and get it, owner left the sate and wasn't available.
I saw a pile of junk, did not see all the fairing, trunk, rails a trim stored under a staircase, for two days I thought it was a BMW R90 or something. Just saw a bike with an odd tank, a flat 4 cylinder and a german warning, assumed it was german.
But when I went back just a couple hours ago I then turned the bars and its says in big numbers 1981, also gl1100.
that really surprised me, I always wanted a Goldwing but in Alaska all you find are the newer ones.
had to use a come a long to pull it up into trailer, stuck in gear, clutch may be frozen, later when I picked it up with a strap off the forklift and dropped it on its center stand I was able to get it in neutral, its definitely heavy, more so than my Cx500 deluxe which has a near identical center stand, and its hard to pull up!

So I am cheating, I have a forklift, actually more than 4. Long day, started early and now I;m off to bed, I filled up the really bad cylinder with a can of PB Blaster, in the morning I will take the head off the left side, make sure the valves are good first, I won't rotate anything until I am sure valves won't stay open, so I might as well pull both, I can use any advice and pics of whats connected to and from carbs. Like the air box boots or such, again I will try to establish some pics tomorrow.

Welcome to the fun. Best you just pull both heads and clean the cylinder by hand. I wouldn't try turning it before you get most of the rust out and get the cylinders lubed. If you do that you may not need to get deeper into the motor.

I am totally new about the GL engine, my guess is the left side is cylinders front being 2, rear 4 and the right is front 1, rear 3.
So worst cylinder is left front, number 2, it had intake open, exhaust closed, full of water for who knows how long, number 4 behind it had exhaust open so muffler is probably full of water. Looks like the radiator has to come out to remove the timing case cover. Just how difficult to actually remove engine? I took my cx500 out like a breeze to replace the stator and water pump seal. Matter of fact next weekend I am buying yet another 83 cx650, guy has rebuilt everything but when the shop told him he needs a stator he gave up, selling it to me for a fair price. Me I am not afraid to tear down engines but I hate big truck transmissions. God only knows how many engines I have rebuilt in over 40 years, plus the custom show cars I have built.
What say you guys about powdercoating the frame? I have such a shop just down the road, says a bike frame stripped down is affordable to powder coat, and he can do wild colors. If I am restoring this babe might as well do her right? Just from what I see on this forum you guys really love your classic Goldwings. Just asking, believe me I can handle just about any problem, even if I have to sleeve a cylinder. This bike has a soul, I can feel it unlike my big Star 1300 Tourer, its rather sterile.

Actually removing the engine isn't that difficult. Getting everything out of the way is time consuming. Once everything is disconnected and out of the way the motor comes out the left side.

Thanks, yeah all the fairing and plastics are already off, of course the carbs are physically missing, gonna have to get me a set plus any other attachment stuff. Well its 3am, I'm off to pull the engine instead of just laying on the floor yanking heads, I do have a work bench, plus my back is getting old.

Check ebay. You can sometimes get a pretty good deal on carb racks there for the old Wings. Any 1000 or 1100 rack will fit.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

I had one of those basket cases! Now I mostly just look for something to fix on my bike since it has been running like a clock since restoration!

Good mixture to soak the old motor in. Try to get the cylinders cleaned up by hand. New rod and main bearings are unobtanium unless you can find another motor that uses the same ones. Piston rings are likely stuck. At this point that is a good thing. Once it's run a bit they usually free up and re seat.

I love it when I try to post on the road from my cellphone, what I meant was I was looking at different places, Seattle, Sf bay area and Orlando cause I often vacation there. And I saw more GL 1100 listings in Orlando, and they were dirt cheap, but up here in Alaska the Craigslist has shown only one or two in the last two months or so, and these are fully up and running. We have a fair amount of brand new or less than a decade old Goldwing owners up here, Alaska is predominately a Harley cruiser state, not a whole lot of street bikes, lots of touring bikes. I wish I were in a place like Orlando because its such a pain to ship most stuff to Alaska.

Anyway I was busy all day driving a concrete mixer, I pickled the motor with an overdose of 50/50 diesel fuel and atf, put over a gallon in the engine, enough it was rolling on past the rocker box as I have the cover off, and the number 2 cylinder is full of same.I hope I can get images to load, on other forums its a bear from an Android phone.

Welcome from Alask.....uhhhh OH HEY NEIGHBOR!!!!

I have seen 2 other GL 1100s this year around Anchorage. One black, yesterday the other maroon like mine about a month ago.

I am pretty worthless when it comes to mechanical advice, but if you want to help me change my timing belts to get a bit of practice, I have new OEM belts and tensioners sitting in a box, waiting for me to get brave enough. :yes:

Welcome to the forum, these guys really know these old bikes.