A station wagon?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trike lady

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has ever seen a Corvair station wagon, I was at a car show today and there was one.

Attachments

• IMAG0147.JPG
    IMAG0147.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 343
Yup, they only made the wagon for two years, '61 and '62. It was called the Lakewood, the van was the Greenbrier, and the pickup was the Rampside. All rear engine, air cooled flat six boxers.

I remember a friend arriving at my bike shop in a VW Bug that made a load of noise, quite un-bug-like sounds.
Bugs don't normally lift their front wheels in the air on take-off either :shock:
Turns out someone, not him, had stuffed it's rear end with a flat 6 Corvair unit mated to the VW box (although how long that would have lasted is any one's guess).
This would have been about 68-69ish.
It still had drum brakes all round.......................

Thinking...........it might have been a couple of years later. I had the shop until late '71

A kit was made to adapt a Corvair engine to a VW transaxle.. The tricky part is the fact that the Corvair runs in the opposite direction. You could either install a reversing cam in the engine, of flip the ring gear in the transaxle. When you jump from 40-80 HP to 80-180 HP, the gears didn't last long. They were sure fun to drive!

Funny thing about Nader...just one chapter in his book dealt with the Corvair, the rest actually pointed out many serious safety issues that were built into cars. Solid steering columns, steel dash panels, knobs and switches that would impale...people usually died in a 35 MPH crash. He was very misleading about the Corvair - in typical lawyer fashion, and many of his claims about their handling have since been disproved.

I saw a license plate on a late-model Corvair that said "N8R-H8R"...nice!