Add a new member to the C 5 family

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After fighting a cold and a few other issues I finally got the bike back on the road with the new C5 ignition. I still need to do some carb tuning since I replaced the float needles and jets at the same time. It seems to be running pretty good. I can really tell the sparks are there. As everyone else has said, it really pulls from low rpm. Being a 75 I can really feel it above 4000 rpm. The idle is funny but I assume that is a carb issue so I'll start chasing that next time it rains. Thanks to Paul for behind the scene help.

Welcome to the club! You are correct about Paul and his help from behind the scenes as well. We exchanged several emails during my install, although most of that was because we were monkeying with the length of the bushings to get the correct spacing for the encoder wheels for future 1100 kits, but he even gave me his personal cell phone number to discuss some challenges along the way. It is nice to see that kind of dedication to his product. :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=119832#p119832:1494ofek said:
K7TKA » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 am[/url]":1494ofek]
After fighting a cold and a few other issues I finally got the bike back on the road with the new C5 ignition. I still need to do some carb tuning since I replaced the float needles and jets at the same time. It seems to be running pretty good. I can really tell the sparks are there. As everyone else has said, it really pulls from low rpm. Being a 75 I can really feel it above 4000 rpm. The idle is funny but I assume that is a carb issue so I'll start chasing that next time it rains. Thanks to Paul for behind the scene help.

Congrats on the install. On every Wing I've installed the C5 on, we can get a 500 rpm idle. Many of the bikes needed carb tuning, which could only be fixed once the ignition was upgraded. Unfortunately sometimes a strong ignition reveals other problems but at least you know the ignition isn't part of it.

Please let us know when you have it running 100% and I'd love feedback on mileage and power.
My cell phone is 920-810-0946 if anyone ever has a problem or question.
If I don't answer, leave a message because many times I'm on the cycle and will call you right back.

-Paul

Well I think everything is all better now. Today I jerked the plugs (a bit more brown than tan but all the same), adjusted the valves again and ran a compression test. All cylinders were between 145 and 150 with a cold engine. I then synchronized the carbs and got the idle down well below 1000. I'm sure it will idle even slower but the timing chain chatters. I did a short road test and it runs great and even shifts smoother. Color me done.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120066#p120066:2gvm5srv said:
K7TKA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am[/url]":2gvm5srv]
Well I think everything is all better now. Today I jerked the plugs (a bit more brown than tan but all the same), adjusted the valves again and ran a compression test. All cylinders were between 145 and 150 with a cold engine. I then synchronized the carbs and got the idle down well below 1000. I'm sure it will idle even slower but the timing chain chatters. I did a short road test and it runs great and even shifts smoother. Color me done.

If you checked plugs during a hard run (under a load in third or fourth gear) your plugs should be light tan or even off white.
Let me explain...

Warm up the bike, go for a ride with your sparkplug tool, and find a nice flat or slightly uphill road. Hit the throttle and get it up to high rpm in a gear tall enough to provide a slight load on the engine. Now hit the kill switch and return the throttle to idle at the same time. Coast to a stop and pull the plugs.

With multiple sparking you should have no color (or very light tan). This will be slightly lighter than your average engine but with multi spark there is little unburned fuel to provide "plug color". If the plugs are still dark, you have an excessive rich condition.

I hope this helps. Although various motorcycles and cars run better when rich, your goal will always be to bring plug color to a very light tan. Checking with an air/fuel meter would also be a great idea, and most shops with a dyno could test that.

We set the idle on Goldwings around 800. Although we brag about getting them to idle down to 400, this is NOT what we recommend. It is simply a way to test for a strong ignition and proper carb adjustment. After we test a GL the idle is always set back to 800 to provide proper oil pressure and engine function.

Thanks for posting your information. It helps us all better understand how fuel and ignition affect engine function. Enjoy your improved Wing!!

Latest posts