aftermarket starter - works fine but sounds different than the old one...?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My starter (rebuilt once) gave up the ghost, so I purchased a replacement (new) which fit fine, and starts the bike fine...so why am I asking? The new one makes a whining sound when I hit the starter button - it sounds like it's spinning a lot faster than the old one - has anyone else seen or heard of this before? The starter clutch is working, it disengages the starter chain once the motor starts. The motor is a new rebuild (less than 1000 miles since the work was done) so it fires right up, just curious if this is 'normal' for a replacement starter motor - anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks and ride safe!

well the china aftermarket starter are not what id call great fit ...its the gear head wine i have only dealt with one but there sloppy ...we have no choice but to deal with it you should keep the old starter for they are not hard to rebuild the kits are better than the after market starters are built for sure with faceplates that have screws on the brushes where after market are sodered up

Thanks guys.

I am taking your advice and keeping the old starter. I already swapped out the rear end cap for the older one because it had been modified to fit better than the new one did. The gear head on the old one is fine, I may swap it out. The main issue with the original starter is the armature wore out.

Much appreciated!

Ride Safe,
Chris

More than likely Chris the new starter is a reduction gear starter where the motor spins heaps faster and does have a pronounced high speed whine. Post a phot or a link and I may be able to confirm this. :yes: