Air cut-off valve, pro or con

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offcenter

Reaction score
Guys, I found this bit of info on Saber Cycle.
It sorta makes sense, except for the part about how I should be getting 50 to 58 mpg.
I've never read of anyone getting 58 miles per gallon on a Wing.
I'm getting 40 to 42 and from what I've read, I thought that was pretty good.
Any opinions, pro or con, on the validity of what they have written about this product?
https://www.saber-cycle.com/blog/2010/01 ... erformance
I've been having a constant problem with popping down the exhaust pipe. A mechanic friend seems to think it's a bad valve.
I just want to hear what other knowledgeable Goldwing guys think of what's written on this page.
Thanks guys!

Edit: My 76 GL pulls like a horse when there is a load on it. (accelerating or going up hill)
As soon as I back off the throttle to that neutral point where it's neither accelerating nor decelerating,
it starts popping and kaPOWing down the exhaust pipe, mostly the left side. (but occasionally on the right too)

I'd suspect that the exhaust has a leak somewhere. Extra air getting in can make the exhaust fire again inside the pipes. I can't get 50 mpg on mine if I put all day in high gear down country roads.

Thanks Slabghost, but I recently installed a real Goldwing exhaust in good condition with the fiber collars that seal the joints. It seems very tight. I'll try sealing over each joint with hi temp silicone and see if that improves it.

A little extra atf in the fuel won't hurt anything but will make it smoke on start up. Good way to check exhaust seals. I found leaks in my 1200 exhaust that way.

very common carb carb problem on oldwing especially 1000 carbs ...cut off can do that to a point ..your not really pushing or holding back but cut off fluttering...whole rack needs clean to close the window so to speak ...a more either or deal ...instead of mixed signals from carbs not the same ..in my opinion ..my 79 did that till carbs were cleaned good and more the same

it cant hurt to have a look at the air cutoff. it is a a widely misunderstood part. it's purpose is to richen the fuel circuit under certain conditions, that is deceleration with the throttle fully closed.
if it did not have the air cutoff , it will pop under these conditions.
MIKE NIXON is an extremely knowledgeable fellow and some thing of an expert on these carbs. he explains what the air cutoff does,
and how it works. he also advises to block the thing off. here is the link....
https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/a ... _more.html
ps
there is also reference here to that mumbo jumbo from saber. :roll:

50 to 58 mpg, LOL that in itself would discredit anything else they had to say.
I average upper 30's to lower 40's depending on the twist of the wrist.

Air cut off valves are new to me too, I can't help you there.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158363#p158363:3eeaa8tc said:
Terry » 27 minutes ago[/url]":3eeaa8tc]
50 to 58 mpg, LOL that in itself would discredit anything else they had to say.
I average upper 30's to lower 40's depending on the twist of the wrist.

Air cut off valves are new to me too, I can't help you there.

Yep, agree completely there!

Only issue with this part in my experience, is mine would backfire & sound like a 22LR on deceleration. Told everyone it was farting, at night it's flame was impressive people said other than the noise it was a nice effect. Set air mix valves back in, & replaced it everything's been fine. Will probably plug all mine up the next time carbs have to come off, make sure the valve is in good shape, & forget about it.

I did get an very high MPG when I rode with Pony last month up in Seattle area. It calculated at 45.88, I thought that was very high. Guess there was a lot more down hill then I thought :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts