Air Shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got the shocks, there in real good shape almost like new. I ckeck for leaks and everythings ok. Some of you guy's are talking about GL1100 and 1200 but these shocks came off a GL1000 so there should be no problem for the lenght. For 80 bucks I won't complain, I notice that Progressive took over the company, I wonder if they still sell parts for these shocks?

$80.00 is a steal IMO. I ran S&W's for a year or so, and love them. I've a NOS pair I paid a small fortune for that I'm saving for something later.
Your's look newer than mine. Mine are the Mark III and Chrome. They came in black as well.
I ran them for two-up, just myself, ...and with no air at all for a low-rider stance. Ran a tank with a small pump for a while.

They were made by Gabriel for S&W, and are essentially smaller version Hi-Jackers internally.

I blew a seal and ended-up running one air and one spring like a 1500 for a while, 'til I blew a seal on the remaining air. I swapped them out for a set of CM450 rear springers instead of using my new set of S&W's.

S&W's are old-school-cool for a 1000 IMO.

Here you can see the MKIII designation and that the bottom bolt-eye is offset for the GL.
Copy of DSC01808.JPG

Here you can see both with their individual offsets:
DSC01811.JPG

Here's an ad from '81:
1981 S&W ad.jpg

Here's an ad (date Unknown):View attachment S&W Air Shock ad.bmp

Here's a post-'81 ad (date unknown, but newer than mine) which may be the type that you have:
e76ea04.jpg

Thats interresting, neat stuff, the ones I got don't look like your's I'm not shure what model they are, I will have to check. Heres a picture of what they look like.

Attachments

• 100_1363.jpg
    100_1363.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 157
I did used S&W shock since day One, and they are perfect. Make sure to lubricate the interieur pressure chambre before using them!
Check the flexibility of the air hoses coming from the shock and running to the pressure gauge. If these are 25 X years old and not prayed with oil on the inner section of these tubes they will brake very easily. PS I am looking for a S&W air compressor. I dod use air suspension on the front and the rear. The front was ounce made by Webco, and the rear by S&W. No guns though! See the picture.

moliekoot":2znh55gg said:
I did used S&W shock since day One, and they are perfect. Make sure to lubricate the interieur pressure chambre before using them!
Check the flexibility of the air hoses coming from the shock and running to the pressure gauge. If these are 25 X years old and not prayed with oil on the inner section of these tubes they will brake very easily. PS I am looking for a S&W air compressor. I dod use air suspension on the front and the rear. The front was ounce made by Webco, and the rear by S&W. No guns though! See the picture.
Hi, you mention to lubricate the chamber, which oil do I use and how much and how do you fill them?

flash2002":8bu9kqu0 said:
moliekoot":8bu9kqu0 said:
Hi, you mention to lubricate the chamber, which oil do I use and how much and how do you fill them?

You can use standard fork oil.
Can use a light oil, like 3-in-1 or Liquid Wrench
Can use a mixture of ATF and 10W motor oil

About a ounce and a half should work.

Do a flush if changing the oil though.

flash2002":285hdffu said:
mcgovern61 made a video using a syringe to fill the stock air shocks.
Maybe this method would work on the S&W shocks?

Latest posts