Another hopefully easy question, carb gaskets dry or wet?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akolleth

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am almost ready to pull the pin on this grenade for the first time with my weber single carb setup. But I am second guessing myself about the gaskets. I tried using my extensive google-fu but like many things it seems there are several camps, each of which is absolutely sure its the right one. Ford versus Chevy, single carbs versus original rack :BigGrin:

Some I have read swear by dry gaskets only because there is a worry that the rtv will break down in gas and loose chunks of itself into your engine. I have read where others say that Permatex makes a gas resistant gasket sealant which could alleviate that concern. https://www.permatex.com/products-2...sistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant-detail

The gaskets I have are the one that came with the 1 to 2 barrel adapter and are typical felt gaskets. The respective surfaces are clean and smooth with no warpage. So what sayeth the hive mind? Stick with dry?

I prefer dry with fuel,as you noted you can get fuel resistant sealants which I only use in extreme cases.

My favorite stuff to use on the manifold and carb gaskets is Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant, aka Aviation cement.
It will seal it.
Good stuff and doesn't break down with gas.

Number on the bottle is 98H or item# 80862
https://www.permatex.com/products-2/prod ... ant-detail

I go dry because the gasket can usually be reused later if need be. If and when it leaks Then I use a sealant on one side only 1st time. Hoping it seals and can still be reused as it will stay on the side with sealant.

I,went threw this.i went to napa,and bought fel pro racing gasket.the paper gasket,that came with my pick 34 carb,leaked.its in a single thread on here.with part #.tom :music:

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 202
I've never had one that thick leak unless I forgot to tighten the carb mount nuts. Which I most certainly did.

i use no goo or wet ..i also never seen a gasket i like much ...i make my own mostly and use all kinds of base products ....thick is better than thin ....cereal box ...leather ...rubber....wood ....and the list gose on LOL....mine are reuseable some have been apart more times than i could guess to count ...some fail ...but i beat the junk gaskets on the market when it comes to carbs bigtime ...single worst enemy is leaks ..so junk gaskets didnt get use at all ...