Another Newcomer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of restoring an 1980, and just purchased a 83 Monday that needs a little TLC. Will have pictures soon. I have all the plastic off the 80 and it is preped for paint. Just got done rebuilding the carbs.

The 83 has 88 thousand miles on it and got some a few problems. Noise coming from front of engine was one of timing belts coming appart, not a good thing for sure. :clapping:

Welcome to the CGW forums, OldWrench!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hi folks and thanks again for the welcome. Yes I caught the belts before they broke. Left hand belt was breaking up and a part of it was slapping the cover as it went over the cam gear. Went with the Napa belts I think they are the same as the goodyear but not sure.

The 83 is also going to get a paint job as soon as I finish the 80. I really like these 1100s

Welmome from a fellow 1100 lover... and I have never hear mine run yet!!!!
Good catch on the belt. Hey got any pics of the '80 or your '83?
We love pics!

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures but here they are. As you can see the 80 is a work in progress, the plastic needs a little more prep work before I can paint it. The 83 needs some electrical work mainly wiring that wasn’t done well. I have a dilemma, the 80 engine only has 30k miles on it and the 83 has 88k, I’m thinking of switching the engines but not sure at this point.

Attachments

• Goldwing1.jpg
    Goldwing1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 108
  • Goldwing2.jpg
    Goldwing2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 108
A swap is sort of a toss up.
200k miles is common for these engines unless it's been abused by lack of oil changes or sat and left to rust inside.

If the '83 is in good condition and has good compression, sounds fairly quiet mechanically I would do the swap to get the taller highway gears.

Thanks for the responses. Agreed the 80 isn’t broke in yet. I did notice the gear ratio difference but also noted the rear tire size difference. Also there is a length difference between the two, can’t figure where the difference is. Since buying the 83 I now realize the odometer doesn’t work so I really don’t know how many actual miles are on it. Getting a bit of noise coming from the rear of the engine but haven’t isolated it yet, possibly from the clutch however the clutch works fine. Had some problems with the starter clutch engaging, I changed the oil after flushing with Sea Foam (obvious it hadn’t been changed in some time). Installed new battery and have had no more problem with the starter clutch engaging.

Latest posts