Another starter thread.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted one more ride,thats all.
I took the wing out yesterday for one last ride before winter and it seems as though the starter took a dump.

I noticed it cranked a little slow the last time I rode it,and again when I left the house yesterday,but after I stopped for gas it cranked very slow and only clicks now.Battery test great and lights are bright.I bumped started it and it ran fine back home.So i assume its the starter.

My questions are.....
After reading rons thread,should I find a local rebuilder to just rebuild it rather than replace it?
If I replace it what are the best suggestions to avoid the fitmant issues?

Also,Ive heard horror stories about dropping the chain down inside.Is this a big concern,or is this a fairly straight forward job to do.
Any tricks or tips to remember?

The chain will not fall inside. That's a myth.

I would suggest a new starter, like the final one Ron got.
I have the same one and it really cranks fast, even on a low battery and hot engine.
Could also rebuild it yourself though it's a crap shoot with all the junk out there that you'll actually get the right parts off eBay.

Lastly, most any alternator/starter shop can do a good rebuild.
Have them specifically test the field windings.
If they can't or won't do this then move on to another shop.

Hi Tory
I have a couple of starters sitting on the shelf (sell them on fleabay) but when mine crapped out earlier this summer I took it to the rebuild shop. They have done work for me in the past and quality is a foregone conclusion. Cost me $100.00 but when I turn the key I dont have to wonder if its going to start or not. Same thing for the stator, when it goes, if it goes I will be rebuilding that as well.
I dont need my bike to be the prettiest one but I do need it to be reliable (patience is not one of my virtues).

I recommend the last one I finally ended up with. The price wasn't bad at all for what it is. Of course, it hasn't been used much yet. The drive gear was just barely a tad different, but fit and works fine. The only thing that concerns me is that it's a very loud starter. But whose to say that really means anything. Since you're in the parts business, perhaps you know of a local rebuilder that can be trusted as an option?

The chain will not fall off inside, but it will drop a bit, just out of alignment. The trick is to lessen that scenario by leaving the bike on the side stand for gravity to help hold the chain in place. The gear stays with the chain during the swap, but my old gear didn't slide on and off the starter as easily as the new gear, so I went with the new gear for ease of installation. You can look at the old thread to see where I got mine.
gallery/image.php?album_id=117&image_id=12072

Thanks for the opinions,
I did stop by and talk to my local rebuilder today and he said he would take a look at it,but mentioned that most the "parts" for them avaible are from china.He suggested that I find genuine HONDA parts and he would be happy to rebuild it.(Our closest HONDA dealer closed over a year ago and he has no other connection.)Anybody know a good source?
He did however suggest that he tore it down first and see if it just needed brushes,which he would probably have there.

The 4 brush starter is apealing,but I am put off a little by the noise and what sounded like a bit of grief making it fit.Besides,the original 2 brusher lasted 29 years,if it makes 29 more I will be very pleased.

Dan
I don't know anything about the 4 brush starters other than what I have read here.
I was mainly worried about the fit problems with the aftermarket so decided to have my original rebuilt.

Sorry for the delay
Got my starter back a week or so ago and installed it this morning.
Cost me $40.00 and ,even in this freezing cold,cranks like never before.

Latest posts