Another Wing might be crossing my path

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how things work.

I was talking with a young electrician on the job I am on asking for a particular area code. Curious fellow that he is - he asked me what for...

I said I was interested in a motorcycle. I saw a bike on CL 150mi from my area. A Big BMW 1200GS.(my next moto-when and if the boss(W) and $ allow).

He asked me what I rode. Classic GW. Not only that but I am a GW enthusiast! He says Hey my Dad has one of those he wants to sell.... Full Dress. It ran but wouldn't stay running

He calls his Dad. Dad says its an 82 wineberry. Been sitting for 2 years. Everything worked when parked. Fork seals needed. Carbs I reckon. Radio/maybe a CD player? 16k orig. mi.

Says it is in good shape cosmetically. I am really hoping good means really good. I know I can get it running - I want it to look gooooood.

$500. This is the kind of seller that "wants it gone" - my kinda guy. I might have the buy the wife a new Dishwasher so that # is going to go up. :roll:

I don't need another bike, but if it is nice I might just have to have it - if you know what I mean.
I might use it as a trade (which ever is nicer) for some work/help I need on my house. I have a co-worker that is in serious need of a bike....I keep telling him that anyway.....
Going to check it out SAT.

Thanks! :thanks:

I keep thinking..... maybe I'll sell my 83 and try something else...

But each time I ride it - I think not.

The only thing I miss about my 78 - it was a hellofa lot easier to move around.

I will buy a dual sport someday(when I move to the desert :Egyptian: Doesn't count-not in the same category.

great pony now i sure wish i had that ....sounds like a greatr price ....hey stick that 1200 in there ...icant wait to get mine on the road 82 standard with 1200 motor in it ...just needs a little more funds and time .....sweet deal i hope for you

Well.....

Got a chance to look at the bike in question. Not gonna do it!

I know $5oo seemed like a good deal, but it was oversold to me i.e. in "good condition"

Was not an interstate, had some ratty vetter stuff on there, needed a new tires, master c was looking like it sat in the sun for 30yrs. etc. etc.

Supposedly it ran before parked. Sitting outside under a non-waterproof deck.

Probably a good naked project - I have one of those. I was looking to fix it up as a 'bagger' for a friend in exchange for some work on my house.

I guess after fixing up 2 wings and working on a frameup resto (still) and having bought 2 parts bikes - I am not as willing to jump on just anything.

I don't think I'd even want it for $250. Besides that I had just sold a Honda fairing and bracket - cause I was under the impression it was an Interstate (my bad) Doh! I do have some bags I could throw on it and get a windshield...????

The search continues......

Pony Ruiz":imbsy0df said:
Supposedly it ran before parked.
Ahhhhhh....those famous words! My '82 ran before it was parked for 12 years too! Problem is.....it was parked because it was a little shy on oil:

Attachments

• #4 piston rod.JPG
    #4 piston rod.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 95
I don't blame ya. I paid $500 for mine, Just because it was my old Bike. Nobody else would of given it for that bike.

Back in the roaring '90s :Egyptian: I found a '79 GL1000 advertised for $1200 with 7,700 original miles :clapping: I had to check this one out ! I already owned my '81 Interstate, but how could I resist. :party: I went to gentleman's house with a certain amount of cash in my pocket :eek:k: My first impression of the bike was a rusty terd :head bang: It had rusty aftermarket dodads but..........on closer inspection,there was a jewel inside all of that stuff :music2: :music2: I made him a serious offer,and he accepted :thank_you: The sound of a Gold Wing engine with only 7,700 miles won my heart :yahoo: I removed all the rusty stuff and rode that bike for years. One day , a friend that had been drooling over the bike made me an offer I could not refuse :Awe: There are some great deals out there , but they must be garaged :moped:

I am so beat up from looking at bikes on line (short term unemployment - back to work tomorrow) I need a break!

I've talked myself in and out of several since I posted this :roll:

not all goldwings tho.... a couple fly and ride bikes popped up, Bmw Gs', but It is stll winter up here-snowed an inch last nite! Then again if I bought a beemer I'd have to ride it home regardless of the weather.

I was watching this GL - looked in really good shape, but would have cost me half of what it sold for to go get. They didn't want to ship. The engine issue didn't scare me - I have a spare, probably minor. Problem is, it is 1100 miles from my house! :beg:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Go ... 2a1aa21cec

Anybody in Tennessee want to store this for me till I can come down this summer and ride it home?
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=Vie ... MEWAX%3AIT

Ideally I really want another 83; Black (dd they come in black?). At least an 1100. It is for a buddy so it could be any color (red!). Then again I saw a 77 for sale for 550/500. Needs a little work, but that is what I'm trying to avoid - i neeeed to finish my project!

I passed on the 1200...

i'll keep ya posted.