Anybody else mixing oil in their gas?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in a member named "Smokey66" starting a thread about mixing oil in yer fuel? :headscratch:

:mrgreen:

I threw a little in the tank... Didn't really measure. Started it up, let it warm, then took off to go top off the tank. It might have just been my imagination (probably was...), but the ol' girl seemed to have a little more oomph. Just for the fun, I grabbed a handful of throttle and I was a little surprised.... Topped it off with mid range octane. We'll see how it goes.

FWIW, my wing doesn't smoke, even on startup. I'm almost feeling a little slighted. Almost.

Mark

silverbullet":1qmljcv3 said:
My riding buddy rides a Kawasaki Voyager. Every once in a while he gets a loud lifter noise. Would this help him with his problem?

Not in the fuel but substitute 1/5th of the oil capacity with atf and it will likely improve. I do that in several vehicles bikes and cars. Every other oil change.

joedrum":skqioobh said:
they pretty much run better instantly when ATF is added ...it wasnt your imagination it will probably get better with use for sure

Woo-Hoo! :Egyptian: :party:

Mark

One additional question...I know there are different types of ATF (Type F; Type M; Dexron; Mercon etc.) and I have not ONE FRIGGIN CLUE as to the differences...

What E-X-A-C-T-L-Y should I look to purchase for use in my fuel tank? Not interested so much in 'brand' as I am 'type'.....

RckRagman":2za8zf0d said:
One additional question...I know there are different types of ATF (Type F; Type M; Dexron; Mercon etc.) and I have not ONE FRIGGIN CLUE as to the differences...

What E-X-A-C-T-L-Y should I look to purchase for use in my fuel tank? Not interested so much in 'brand' as I am 'type'.....

I don't think it much matters. I had a couple partial bottles of different types and I just went ahead and used them up. I didn't see any difference.

Mark

Hey AApple....just saw that;" Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in a member named "Smokey66" starting a thread about mixing oil in yer fuel?" :) that IS pretty ironic huh? And no my bike dont smoke,but I do ;-)

Smokey66":29ufdy34 said:
Hey AApple....just saw that;" Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in a member named "Smokey66" starting a thread about mixing oil in yer fuel?" :) that IS pretty ironic huh? And no my bike dont smoke,but I do ;-)

Being a former CBer, I just assumed that "Smokey66" was somehow connected with law enforcement. . . ;)

I AM RUNNING A 84 1200 GOLDWING AND HAVE BEEN ADDING ATF6-8 OZ FER FILL UP AND SEEMS TO BE DOING WELL ,I CAN NOTICE IF I DONT ADD WHEN FUELING UP JUST SEEMS TO RUN SMOOTHER .

I run it in both my wing and an '88 Subaru Justy. In my Ramcharger I used to run some diesel every once and a while but once I get it back to running I'll run some ATF in it. Seems to work really well with carbureted engines.

It works well in fuel injected motors too. Not so sure how it will affect diesel but I'm sure it will help keep the injectors clean.

:popcorn:
The only REAL differences in any of the types of AFT is the additive packages used for different brandings. GM uses a specific additive package for the Dextron fluids, Ford uses it's package for the Motorcraft fluids(Type "F", Mercon), etc, etc. ANY type will work, for the purpose of a fuel additive. I would not recommend using the synthetics, due to the costs involved, and...I couldn't say that they would do any better for our purpose than the regular juice. I would recommend staying away from the bargain basement stuff...you know...the .75 quart stuff you can find at the local convenience store... MOST of that stuff is reclaimed fluid. It is filtered, distilled, and re-dyed(ever notice that stuff looks purple?), and then packaged in new bottles with the store's logo on it. The problem with that is, the additives are all used up in the fluid...what you're getting is just a base oil with no additives/detergents.
I run 6 oz in a tank, and I use whatever we have in the bulk tank at the shop. It definitely makes a difference in how the engine runs. :good:

And yes, atf will work fine in a sneezle engine. We used to run a couple of gallons in a 40 gal tank on our rigs back in the day. We would also run a few gallons of unleaded gasoline in them at the same time...never had any infector issues. :yes:

its hard to argue against all the bennys of ATF in oldwings ...it seems the flat fours were made for it by accident ....anyway with todays fuel of crap and of great expense ...its the only way the oldwings can tolerate the crap for fuel that shoved down to pumps where crap gas is the only thing leagle