back brake,,, dragging

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
backing out of garage,,, immediatly a noise,,,.. when im at a stop light,,, the whole thing seems like it should move easier,. rode about 25 mi and checked the heat from the rear rotor,,... minimal-none.. I put it on it's center stand,, sure seems like the wheel should move easier than what it does. Maybe im to fussy but any advice,,? rebuild caliper,, or new brake pads?? guess i havent checked the pads ,, i think theyre pretty good,, did a tire change a cpl mo. ago... I'll check but i think theyre real good,,, front's are new... this bike has a rough time gettin out of the hole.. often wondered about rear brake caliper :party:

Rear wheel should spin fairly easy on the center stand, with only a slight amount of resistance.
I have had my rear caliper drag big-time before...it's very noticeable. I took my caliper off, and used a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper, and installed new pads. The piston on mine was sticking, but once I pushed it back into the caliper, it has worked fine ever since. Guess the pads just got thin enough to allow the piston to come out far enough to "cock" a little.

When I first got mine the rear brakes were dragging. It turned out that the pivot point on the foot pedal was crudded up enough that the pedal wasn't returning all the way. A quick check is to just push it down by hand then see if you can pull it up higher than the spring returns it. I just sprayed it with WD 40 then but recently had to take it all the way off, clean the rust and regrease it. Good luck with your problem.

when i 1st got my bike had that problem.. i keep messing with the calipers and it helped a little...the problem was in the master cly.. on the return line there is small orfice that was pluged use a paper clip to clean out and no more dragging for me..hope this helps

k,, thanx tx. im still having a prob w/brake,,, draggin enuff to make the rotor sing.. seems i have a full time job on this bike,,,.. i think the valves need adj. i can here them ? ticking? under power and backing off. i'll have to make figure out which is more important to fix first..... i am gettin a lil usage out of er,,, fill it w/gas quite a bit! :builder:

Check that return hole..there is rubber hose with clamp,,,just take the 2 screws out and has large hole but the little one is what needs to be cleaned...i pushed small wire then blew with air gun watch out for brak fuild in your eyes..did not take much...like i said mine has been good for over a year now,,, good luck bro