Back trace reported sale mileage?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
In California your required to report mileage of a vehicle you sell on the form you sign over to the buyer.

Is there a way to trace these back?

Reason I ask is unusual problems are popping up on my daughter's car at just 50,000 miles, things you'd expect at better than 100k.
It has digital odometer but I've heard those can easily be turned back now. I think they removed a digit but I'd like to prove it.

DMV might provide the mileage for you from the previous titles. Probably not very accurate that way either though.

What year/brand car is it?

Digital odometer readings can normally ONLY be changed by changing the PCM/BCM. The odo reading is burned into the chip...no way to electronically alter that. That being said, people install used computers on cars for lottsa different reasons. Someone with the proper scan tool can go in there and get the VIN # from the PCM/BCM, and see if it matches the vehicle VIN. If it don't you know the PCM/BCM has been changed....and the mileage is what the donor vehicle had.
Some GM BCMs(new ones) MUST have the mileage programed into them by the dealer, BEFORE the vehicle gets driven more than 50 miles. After 50 miles, the BCM will not allow the mileage to be programed/changed. Other car lines may have similar protocols....not sure.

In Texas, the title forms have a spot for the mileage that gives you the option on mileage...
"I certify that the Mileage is correct"
"Mileage exceeds the mechanical limits"(for analog type odos)
or...
"Exempt"....this is for when a vehicle is over a certain age....they don't care about the mileage at that point...

We have a local guy that can set odometer readings on late model electronic speedos. It does require plenty of technology but it is definitely doable. Good guy, I just had him remake and reprogram the old key from our stolen 07 Forester to suit the new/old replacement Forester ($170 aud) the dealer wanted $500+ and then labour to program the new key/ remote.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101207#p101207:3i9be6xt said:
joedrum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 am[/url]":3i9be6xt]
fancy dam key didn't help anything did it tony ...sheesh

Not when I left my key at home for the burglars to use :head bang:

:Doh2: :swoon: :blush: :thank_you: oh well tony ive done some rather bone head things myself .....you want to find someone to blame ....but the bathroom mirror is the guilty party ..... :shock:

What kind of car is it. I got a guy that works for me that came out of automotive and he said on many cars it is easy to roll the digital mileage. We have had the same concerns with trucks for some time now.

Well wonderful, we know it can be changed!

Any way to read the prior programming or if it's been changed? Something like data that's burned in and cannot be changed?

Thanks for checking with them btw.

You have to be careful about anything from Alibaba.com! They are a cut-rate company that will sell ANYTHING, whether it works or not. They are in China and there is no quality control for any of their items. We have dealt with them in the marine industry too!

Type any product that you would like to buy and I bet you will get hits from Alibaba.com (Electronics, plumbing, 40' shipping containers, tanks, small ships......)

You have to be careful about anything from Alibaba.com!

That is interesting, I have never dealt with them. Basically my point is that the tools are out there to write a new speedometer mileage. That is something we would never do in our shop so we don't have the tools to do it, and I would fire any of our techs that I caught doing something like that.

Latest posts