Bad water pump? Head gasket? Sweet white smoke

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

My '81 interstate is giving me wispy white smoke when I shut her down. I turn the petcock off and run the fuel out when I put her away for more than a day or so. The last time I did this I am getting this white smoke and it does smell sweet - I went through some threads and it looks like there are lots of possible causes, so before I get dr. google syndrome and start pulling parts what do the experts think? What should I check to try to narrow this down? Thanks in advance gents.

If the smoke is coming from one exhaust it most likely is head gasket. If it's from the top of the motor it could be a leak in one of the crossover coolant pipes or T stat gasket. Is it wet anywhere?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158559#p158559:34ut27es said:
chrisbags » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:40 am[/url]":34ut27es]
It's only the right side exhaust. I have a feeling this is going to require a mechanic - better start reading up on how to change a head gasket!
I suspect that is the best plan. One recent thread that was good I think was called "Head gasket again". It had a very good description of preparing both head and block to get best seal of the head gasket.

Thanks Slab,

I've done lots of stuff with the suspension/brakes/drive/wiring but this kind of thing gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I think I will probably just let the mechanic take this one because I have way too much love into Max to be the reason she needs a heart transplant! I'm thinking I shouldn't ride it at all until I get this taken care of, although I don't actually know what a bad head gasket really means. (stupid i know what with the site I'm typing this on...)

Well at least its easier to do then most bikes, might as well do them both cause the other is just as old. You can also look at the plugs and see if one or two look cleaner(steam cleaned), can also do a cooling system pressure check but you need a special tool, there also is a chemical color test to test the coolant for combustion.
If you take it to a mechanic be sure to let him know in the kindest way that the block may need flattened, seems many mechanics check the head for flat but not the block, still should read head gasket again thread to show what we are saying.

Some smoke on shutdown, and the smell, seems like head gasket is starting to leak only when hot.
I would torque the head bolts. Maybe the gasket isn't blown too badly to save it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158562#p158562:1p4weyd5 said:
chrisbags » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 am[/url]":1p4weyd5]
Thanks Slab,

I've done lots of stuff with the suspension/brakes/drive/wiring but this kind of thing gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I think I will probably just let the mechanic take this one because I have way too much love into Max to be the reason she needs a heart transplant! I'm thinking I shouldn't ride it at all until I get this taken care of, although I don't actually know what a bad head gasket really means. (stupid i know what with the site I'm typing this on...)
Totally up to you.But with all the help you have here. I think your chances of screwing up are probably less than a paid mechanic unless he is very familiar with oldwings. You won't be the first or the last to need a guide through this task. Retorque as Dan suggests may extend the life of the gaskets some. Worth a try.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158567#p158567:2g955xgp said:
dan filipi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 am[/url]":2g955xgp]
If you do torque the head bolts, it's a good time to adjust valve clearance also since that could be affected. And it's open anyway.

We have a very easy to understand tutorial here for valve adjustment, even I got it right the first time. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158570#p158570:2e4hvkr4 said:
joedrum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:04 am[/url]":2e4hvkr4]
hmmmmm chris ...if you feel comfortable taking plugs out ..take them out and see if one or more look very clean looking ...that is indication of blown head gasket ...
+1 :yes:

So I had posted the other day that I had a trickle of white smoke out of my right exhaust. Turns out when I went to start it today after a couple of minutes white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. So. I think it's safe to say the head gasket on the right head is kaput. I want to say I'm not freaking out but I've been working on this bike for about 3 years now, and I've done everything myself, but only because of all of you. I have done lots of things but never opened up the motor, and that is a bit intimidating. I've been looking out here for a couple of threads that can give me the basics on what blowing a head gasket means and how difficult it is to change one out - my big question is, if I screw this up, will I totally kill my motor? I want to do it myself but am not sure what I'm getting myself into. Thoughts?

If you listen to the advice here you won't screw it up. Now removing the heads and bouncing them down the driveway won't help at all though. I probably have a spare head here if it's needed. Take it one step at a time and ask every question you have.

truth is ..oldwings are not that bad as compared to other bikes ..but the motor can get ruin if belt are not put on right ..as V says if you do like you have been doing i think you can do it ..you seem to really do things well and you really do take advice well ..it hard to beat that chris and you have it ...

first thing you need to do is take the timing belt covers off ...on the front of the motor ..between motor and radiator ...this takes a 10mm wrench and i bit of patience ..its tight there ..four bolt there 2 on each side ....see if you can get this done and post back ..take i pic too if you post it ...you cant really harm the bike doing this ....just be careful not to hurt radiator while doing this ...

hmm head gasket vid gee what a great idea ...