Bad water pump? Head gasket? Sweet white smoke

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always pull my radiator when doing the timing belts. It is only a few extra nuts and the fan connector to pull it out of the way. I like to see everything when doing my timing belts. I would also add that after you get your timing covers off and have the crank and pulley's lined up correctly, take white out and mark your pulley arrows (left and right sides), make a straight line from the center of the crank bolt through to the top of the crank pulley. That way, you can watch your marks to see if anything moves during install (which they will!).

as gerry says id take radiator off first thing ...dont take hoses off just unbolt bottom water pump cover off ...and thermostat cover bolts and radiator mounts ...and get radiator off ...theres a drain bolt there to dump coolant from ..just havr to have low enough to fit under there to catch it ..that be first thing to do ...once radiator off it will start looking much easier...sickum chris lol...get it off and we will go from there

Thanks guys - I forgot one other thing, disconnect the plug leads. that would be a good idea. Should I remove the plugs? I was thinking take them out but then leave them in their homes loose to keep debris from falling in but allow any backpressure out.

yes chis ..just take plugs out is best thing as the stock wire boots and all make best cover ...or duck tape piece many things work ...its all coming off so not big deal here ..take raditor off and leave plugs alone right now ..not part of first step

Sounds like the guys got you covered for now Chris. Plugs in or out shouldn't make any difference. If anything should fall in you'll find it once the heads are off.

Plugs out certainly makes it easier to turn over the engine to align marks. I like Gerry's idea of marking baseline so that you start with easy identifiable correct timing positions :good: