Belly pan or bash plate?????

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk2valve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am wondering if anyone has put any kind of belly pan or bash plate under their wing? I am thinking about making and installing an aluminum one at least under the front portion to protect the filter housing and water pump casing.

No point in re-inventing the wheel if anyone has done it...

My 80 1100/Ural rig is quite good on crappy roads and two track but I want to protect some tender parts...

TIA,
Brian in NM

Ok I'm picturing a piece of diamond plate bolted on using conduit clamps or tack weld 3/8" bolts to the frame. Sounds like a fun project.
I've never seen one done on our bike.
If the front is left open might even improve cooling by catching air.

I think you got something there Dan. The good old electrical Mini strap clamped around the frame
tubing, then the plate attached to that. Easy on, Easy off. Good air flow, more protection.
Nice. I like it. :good:

OK, got it roughed out and installed....I may need to tune it up a bit but I like this version so far.....maybe more holes in it....
The rubber flap is to protect the oil drain plug since it sticks out a bit and I wanted the plate to fit tighter to the block....I cut the flap from old truck mud flap...

As a shiny chrome harley buddy of mine said when he saw my bike..."I've never seen a more @$#^%**rigged bike in my life!" I like to think he meant "he had never seen a more bush-rigged bike than mine!" I used only parts from my shop....

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 106
i like it bian good work ....but be sure that the mounting strap stout enough or the plat fixed that it wont slide back from a hit and be the thing that causes the damage ...its hard for me to tell how stout the mounting are from the pics ...if itmounted solidly from the front frame piece id say its good to go

Thanks Joe...that is a good point and I don't quite see how to prevent that happening....I don't think the mounting are super stout...

I am open to any and all ideas to make it better....as I said, I am not much of a fabricator....

I was trying to not have it too low due to the already low ground clearance of the Gold wing and the sidecar mountings, and somehow, easily removed to change the filter and oil....
Brian

GillT, you seem to have some kinda idea...none of the local hardware guys knew the terms you used, nor do I and I went through the electrical department at the Hdwr. and didn't see anything that inspired me....can you be more descriptive....?
Thanks,
Bri

When I made the last one for the R100GS, I was still working at the USFWS shop and had a TIG outfit that I used to weld up a nice perforated box type skid plate to exact size and I used conduit clamps that fit over the frame to clamp it on and it didn't have to be easily removed....
I don't have the technology to do that kind of work....dammit....
Brian