Berryman B-12 Chemtool substitute for Yamaha Carb Cleaner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AApple":107bhayd said:
Using straight B-12 WILL damage certain rubber compounds if left in contact for very long, whether the spray type or the dipping solution type. Don't know about the stuff you put in the tank, but I do know that some of the stuff out there now is very bad on some types of fuel injectors. It'll melt the insulation right off of the electrical windings, and short them out.
This is why I was thinking of using the 1 to 3 b12/gas mixture procedure as detailed in Randakks tip... put it in the carbs via the carb side of the fuel pump. Let it sit for five-ten minutes and then dump. Now my only real question using this method is how to dump it out after it soaks. Do I simply turn the engine over until the line is dry or do I reattach the gas line, spark plugs, and actually burn out what was in there? Is there another way to empty the carb bowls out? Note that I'm new to the GW and I'm not a professional mechanic.

i tried but push the old stuff on slabghost :shock: im looking pretty guilty now ,,,i confess ...it was me MSGT-R im ATF old guy :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

CreatorsDream":2pdupjub said:
This is why I was thinking of using the 1 to 3 b12/gas mixture procedure as detailed in Randakks tip... put it in the carbs via the carb side of the fuel pump. Let it sit for five-ten minutes and then dump. Now my only real question using this method is how to dump it out after it soaks.

Open the drain screws in the float bowls to drain it out of each of the carburetors.

Okay guys, continue your snickering..

dan filipi":3tycme9h said:
jdegase":3tycme9h said:
The ingredients in the Chemtool Fuel Treatment is: Toluene,Methanol, Acetone,2-Butoxyethanol, Mixed Xylenes, Isopropanol, and Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
some of these ingredients are also in common gasket remover.

I hook a hose to the inlet side of the fuel pump stick the hose in a 16 ounce can of the stuff and run the engine on straight B-12. Haven't dissolved any rubber parts yet.

I may be wrong, but isnt b-12 supposed to be a soaking type cleaner? Randakk recommends cutting with 1/3 gasoline and draining the stuff back out.
Not sure if I like the idea of pumping them through the fuel pump then burning them in the engine.
ESPECIALLY after they have picked-up whatever they dissolved in the carbs...
this to me seems like your actually just moving the gunk on through the engine.

I just pulled the carbs apart on my '82 GL1100 after leaving it sit with B-12 in the carbs for a month. I had assembled the bike from a pile of parts, the carb set was really nasty inside(e-bay junk) and the engine needed a valve job for sure(you could see rust in two intake holes). I wanted to see if it would run at all in that condition. Got it started on straight B-12 and ran it for a while, no bearing noises and good oil pressure, it didn't do very well off-idle the low speed jets were mostly plugged. Anyway I got back to it the other day to pull it apart, the varnish in the float bowls was loosened up nicely and the jets cleaned up well. The float bowl o-rings looked ok, maybe a bit swollen from the chemicals. All four cut-off valves were stuck in the carb bodies and had to be pried out, the diaphrams were dry and unaffected by the cleaner.

Latest posts