Berryman B-12 Chemtool substitute for Yamaha Carb Cleaner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreatorsDream

Reaction score
Randakks Tech Tip #1 https://www.randakks.com/TechTip1.htm has a procedure using the Yamaha Carb Cleaner that has been discontinued. It states that the main ingredients are 2-Butoxyethanol and Xylene which I found is contained in Berrman B12 Chemtool.

The ingredients in the Chemtool Fuel Treatment is: Toluene,Methanol, Acetone,2-Butoxyethanol, Mixed Xylenes, Isopropanol, and Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Now, I'm wondering if anyone knows the ingredients in the old Yamaha Carb Cleaner AND whether we can use the same procedure that is listed in the tech tip to clean out the carburetors?

I understand many people recommend Seafoam but what is interesting to me is the distinct difference between Sea Foam and B-12. Seafoam is proud that their product DOES NOT harm a Styrofoam cup while Chemtool is proud that IT DOES DISSOLVE Styrofoam. After seeing the YouTube video from Chemtool saying that Styrofoam is made up of petroleum products and how it dissolves the varnishes and such, that maybe, just maybe this B12 product could safely be used as prescribed in Randakks Tech Tip. I don't want to mess up any of my O-rings or rubber parts and am wondering if I just put it in the bowls as described in the tech tip, that I will be safe.

Please note this is not a Sea Foam thread. I've read many good things about the use of seafoam. What I am looking for is some feedback on using the Berryman B-12 Chemtool as a substitute for the Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner.

detdrbuzzard":j11ei3uz said:
seafoam is safe for the rubber carb parts
:smilie_happy: :wave: Read his post...its not a seafoam thread! :smilie_happy: (Not knocking seafoam...it works great! Just thought the first reply talking about seafoam was well.....)

I have not used B-12 Chemtool, but I have transported all of those products listed in it in tankships and barges and it is real bad (for you) stuff! I would be surprised if rubber parts could survive Toluene or acetone...both are great nail polish removers! (And paint)

I hook a hose to the inlet side of the fuel pump stick the hose in a 16 ounce can of the stuff and run the engine on straight B-12. Haven't dissolved any rubber parts yet.

When I first got my bike I tried various cleaners but ended up having to pull the carbs for rebuild.
The cutoffs were all melted goo. I think one of them was B-12 but I also tried others so I couldn't say what ruined them.

mcgovern61":1pcm425n said:
detdrbuzzard":1pcm425n said:
:smilie_happy: :wave: Read his post...its not a seafoam thread! :smilie_happy: (Not knocking seafoam...it works great! Just thought the first reply talking about seafoam was well.....)

I have not used B-12 Chemtool, but I have transported all of those products listed in it in tankships and barges and it is real bad (for you) stuff! I would be surprised if rubber parts could survive Toluene or acetone...both are great nail polish removers! (And paint)
i was hoping he wasn't going to take his cacbs apart and try cleaning them with seafoam

mike in idaho":oy1v3lp7 said:
I hook a hose to the inlet side of the fuel pump stick the hose in a 16 ounce can of the stuff and run the engine on straight B-12. Haven't dissolved any rubber parts yet.
How often do you use it? Why did you go with the B-12 instead of the popular Seafoam? Did you leave the plugs in while cranking or did you use a similar procedure as listed in Randakks Tech Tip #1 https://www.randakks.com/TechTip1.htm ? How long did you leave the solution in the carbs? Could you please explain your procedure?

detdrbuzzard":39ivssvg said:
i was hoping he wasn't going to take his cacbs apart and try cleaning them with seafoam

Last thing I want to do is remove the carbs. And no, seafoam is good for mild buildup and maintenance... not for cleaning carbs after removal. I would like to clean my carbs without taking them out. The GL1100 Interstate only has 43,000 miles and the first owner, who had it the longest, really took good care of the bike. The second owner changed the oil and road it for 2 years putting about 8,000 miles on it. I've had it for one season, put 3,400 miles on it before I started having some real problems running it. Anyway, thanks for the comment.

detdrbuzzard":3w3hgo8a said:
mcgovern61":3w3hgo8a said:
detdrbuzzard":3w3hgo8a said:

:smilie_happy:

The ingredients in the Chemtool Fuel Treatment is: Toluene,Methanol, Acetone,2-Butoxyethanol, Mixed Xylenes, Isopropanol, and Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
some of these ingredients are also in common gasket remover.

I may be wrong, but isnt b-12 supposed to be a soaking type cleaner? Randakk recommends cutting with 1/3 gasoline and draining the stuff back out.
Not sure if I like the idea of pumping them through the fuel pump then burning them in the engine.
ESPECIALLY after they have picked-up whatever they dissolved in the carbs...
this to me seems like your actually just moving the gunk on through the engine.

I know its a real pain to remove the carbs and take the time to clean them properly. but if the bike is running that bad, or you suspect the carbs of being that dirty woudnt it be a better idea to just pull them and make sure there are no bad parts?
I also dont agree totally with randakks statement as to not taking them apart just so you dont have to replace parts...
if rubber o-rings are damaged its better to put new ones in, than to just not know there bad.

jdegase":3vhs57rp said:
The ingredients in the Chemtool Fuel Treatment is: Toluene,Methanol, Acetone,2-Butoxyethanol, Mixed Xylenes, Isopropanol, and Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
some of these ingredients are also in common gasket remover.

I may be wrong, but isnt b-12 supposed to be a soaking type cleaner? Randakk recommends cutting with 1/3 gasoline and draining the stuff back out.
Not sure if I like the idea of pumping them through the fuel pump then burning them in the engine.
ESPECIALLY after they have picked-up whatever they dissolved in the carbs...
this to me seems like your actually just moving the gunk on through the engine.

I know its a real pain to remove the carbs and take the time to clean them properly. but if the bike is running that bad, or you suspect the carbs of being that dirty woudnt it be a better idea to just pull them and make sure there are no bad parts?
I also dont agree totally with randakks statement as to not taking them apart just so you dont have to replace parts...
if rubber o-rings are damaged its better to put new ones in, than to just not know there bad.

Good points jd but if your lazy like me.........

I got lucky (crossing my fingers) after installing a 1200 electric pump which runs at a VERY stable 2 lbs. pressure as opposed to the 2.5-3 pounds of the aftermarket the #2 carb is no longer loading up over rich so no need to pull the carbs (yet).

mike in idaho":wt631mee said:

I've used it a lot, but never tried running the motor on it!! Hmmm.. interesting. :read:

I've done a quicky cleaning of my KLR carb (in-place) by unhooking the fuel hose and filling the carb. After a short soak, I've always drained it out.

Running the engine for a short time on cleaner and burning the stuff it cleaned out won't hurt anything.
Of course you should have a clean supply of gas connected when doing so that way the clean gas will mix with the cleaner so it will run.

For a running bike I suggest you run ATF in the fuel or Techron cleaner for at least 4 fill ups. Every year I've had at least one bike that needed a little carb assistance. Low speed jets can be cleared by running up to a high rpm and chop throttle and coast a few seconds. Doing this several times forces running low jets at highest vacuum possible cleaning those passages effectively more often than not.

slabghost":1ddta9sp said:
For a running bike I suggest you run ATF in the fuel ...

How old are you? :ahem:

That is one very old trick that you don't hear much anymore.

joedrum":12ac198l said:
hes old :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Hey Joe, since you were the one who brought that tip up on this board, does that mean you are even older? :grin:

Using straight B-12 WILL damage certain rubber compounds if left in contact for very long, whether the spray type or the dipping solution type. Don't know about the stuff you put in the tank, but I do know that some of the stuff out there now is very bad on some types of fuel injectors. It'll melt the insulation right off of the electrical windings, and short them out.
Techron is good stuff....highly recommended as an additive to the tank. :good: