bikes pulling bikes??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82cbguy

Reaction score
Hey guys ive looked around online and have seen some very limited information. My question is could an 83 gl1100 pull another motorcycle on a trailer?? The bike in question that would be on the trailer weighs about 4-450 and the hardbags/trunk on the wing would be loaded as well. I would be riding solo if that even matters haha. Id appreciate ur alls input on whether this is possible. Thanks!!

Definitely possible but I don't think it's very safe.
I've always read and been told the towing vehicle should weigh at least 2/3 what it's towing. The weight your towing exceeds that as well the brakes on the GW are undersized. I bet there's a rule of thumb for that too.
Also consider the height of the bike after on the trailer, that probably exceeds some rule too.

I might try it around city streets but not on the highway.
Think about the side wind gusts of a semi passing. Gives me chills just thinking about what could happen.

With a custom built low riding trailer and the height of my cb it could be shorter than the height of the wing but im with u on the weight factor...were talking around 600lbs unless i did a bare bones trailer but even then it would be at least 550lbs. Thats a lot for a bike to pull but ive seen sidecar and trailer setups which is y it got me thinking. Plus it would be cool to take both bikes on a road trip haha

I'm with ya.
I'd love to tow 2 dual sports for my son and I out on a long camping trip and off road trip.
There's a awesome place up north about 6 hours we camped near a couple years back. Sort of a dream we have.

Ive seen a picture of a 2000 something wing pulling one dual sport which is y i figured it would prolly be ok but that was a newer wing...much heavier more power and better brakes...but they had the trailered bike sticking way up in the air and i wouldnt wanna do that for sure lol

...I trailered a bike with my Wing though it was only about 350 pounds...no problem other than what one would have towing a trailer with a bike..

Round trip was only about 400 miles...seemed twice that at the time though...

Attachments

• DSC02537.JPG
    DSC02537.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 312
If it was mine I would want electrics brakes on the trailer activated by the towing bike.

82cbguy":1rr0kgx5 said:
Nice!! My cb prolly only weighs about 400+trailer weight...so i guess ill look into building a low riding trailer
I bought a Harbor Freight trailer rated for 1,100 pounds and mounted a wheel chaulk on a 2X12.

Because I opted for the 12' tires on the trailer, the gross weight is about a hundred pounds so with the bike I towed, the total weight was about 450, give or take.

To be honest, other than the jitters because towing on a bike isn't a natural act, I wasn't all that aware of the trailer once I got on the highway..

Electric brakes would be nice but for less money, I can hire someone to ride the bike while I take the limo...<chuckle>...

The chaulk comes off with just four bolts and the trailer can then take a Sears Cargo carrier and I have the rails if I am hauling bales of hay..

The reason for the 1,100 rating was so it can carry the Wing should I wish to trailer it to an event or to tote it to the shop..

It's the best $150 buck I ever spent...other than my last divorce, of course...=/

Attachments

• DSC02689.JPG
    DSC02689.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 299
This is not mine, but when I was making my trailer, I was worried about weight and this guy gave me a lot of tips concerning weight.

90609-fm-albums-odds-n-ends-picture1142-towing-1983-wing.jpg

He does have electric brakes on his trailer to assist with stopping and he tells me that it gets stopped in the same amount of space as when he is trailerless.

good to see this done and explained ...I think its okay to do ,,,,around my neck of the woods it would be a little rough with all the hills and stuff.... nice job of riding and the prep on the trailer just right

brianinpa":1miemtkz said:
This is not mine, but when I was making my trailer, I was worried about weight and this guy gave me a lot of tips concerning weight.

He does have electric brakes on his trailer to assist with stopping and he tells me that it gets stopped in the same amount of space as when he is trailerless.
Now this is nice...it looks to be alumnimum and with electric brakes, it makes it practical where mine may not be in certain applications..

SirGary":2tjrsm5w said:
brianinpa":2tjrsm5w said:

Now this is nice...it looks to be alumnimum and with electric brakes, it makes it practical where mine may not be in certain applications..

I don't remember if it is aluminum or not, but he claims to get quite a bit of weight on the trailer from time to time:
90609-fm-albums-odds-n-ends-picture3394-montrose-2009.jpg

CAUTION! One thing to remember here is that electric brakes can be touchy and grabby if not adjusted correctly making them a little touchy to tow behind two wheels. I have often given thought to building a scaled down surge system that on paper would seem to be more easily controlled than electric, but haven't gotten around to that one yet. Also, and don't ask how I know, a heavy trailer can push/pull the rear of the bike around in tight turns while braking and accelerating. I have no problem using electric brakes behind three wheels but mostly don't need them because with the addition of the extra wheel I also get an extra brake. Just some food for thought. :yes:

If you use a non inertia brake controller you can dial it in to a comfortable amount of braking. The one possible disadvantage is there is no increased braking effect in a panic stop, but well dialled in electric brakes will always be better than no electric brakes on a trailer.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84414#p84414:2gl34fzz said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:45 pm[/url]":2gl34fzz]If you use a non inertia brake controller you can dial it in to a comfortable amount of braking. The one possible disadvantage is there is no increased braking effect in a panic stop, but well dialled in electric brakes will always be better than no electric brakes on a trailer.

You have the answer. "well dialed in" is the issue. I have pulled electric brakes with great success on trailers up to 48ft with three axles as well as the smaller ones. It has been a long time since I looked at new controllers and was not aware of the non inertia ones. (Showing my age. :roll: ) That would be much better as most of the issues were with the inertia types. The one I have on my truck is an early model that came with my 66 Airstream. I've always loved it because it is tied in to my hydraulic brake line to activate the controller.

Again, the issue is learning to adjust them properly and I would guess that a non inertia type should be much easier. You have my curiosity peaked now so I will have to look in to that and try one for motorcycle use. Thanks for the tip.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85302#p85302:3e325l06 said:
Buck232 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 am[/url]":3e325l06]https://acidcow.com/cars/31132-goldwing-retriever-11-pics.html i think this is cool, motorcycle tow truck.
Very cool. I like the hydraulic looking kickstand!

friend of mine pulled a 650 lb Combi camp for 10 yrs with his 1100 . no issues at all. then in 92 bought a new 1500 and was talked into putting brakes on the tent trailer the first trip out he was cut off by a big truck and hit the brakes the trailer swung around beside him pulliung him down on the pavement at 50 mph.. the big truck ride over this 1500 but not him or the trailer. he never ride again..scared him silly.
I bought a 02 Honda 750 Shadow from Southern USA on Ebay few yrs ago. a friend brought it to Our annual Rally at St Libory Nebraska with his 1800 on a trailer. 1000 mile round trip

Attachments

• 2003ShadowACE750onJimsTrailer.jpg
    2003ShadowACE750onJimsTrailer.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts