Blown GL1500 Valk

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fstsix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well still riding today 11-19-16 took both the 6 bangers out for a nice last ride , Cold start shown blowing condensation out the pipes and off to CT for Lunch , Filled the tanks and put the Stabil in heated storage ,,kinda depressing ! This vid and a couple others will help with Cabin fever :wave:[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTEQ3HIZbAM[/video][video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2Y0NOlb2w[/video]

Can't decide what is better inline or opposed. I guess the CBX should rev higher. :good: :clapping: :salute:

I think i like the Valk most, The CBX is like a toy. So light ! was riding last week on the CBX and it was windy , i was moved all over the road lol, The Valk is like a Tank, The CBX has no factory rev limiter real easy to bring it up to 12.000 rpm , see guys out there bring them up to 16.000 rpm, Just enjoy they sound of 6 cylinder bikes singing down the road :music3:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183948#p183948:1o7e67vx said:
Fstsix » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 pm[/url]":1o7e67vx]
I think i like the Valk most, The CBX is like a toy. So light ! was riding last week on the CBX and it was windy , i was moved all over the road lol, The Valk is like a Tank, The CBX has no factory rev limiter real easy to bring it up to 12.000 rpm , see guys out there bring them up to 16.000 rpm, Just enjoy they sound of 6 cylinder bikes singing down the road :music3:
:good:
Must admit I really enjoyed riding Val on Friday, didn't get to ride Saturday but hope to ride tomorrow. I haven't put coolant in as I want a couple of heat cycles with plain water first.

What pipes do you have on the Valk? Glass packs?

Wingrider , The Valk Headers are true performance equal length tuned , called Viking performance , they are no longer in business since 2007 , you can find them now and then on Ebay , I purchased new they were around $1.500.00 plus shipping 15 years ago , they have a 4" Truck stack with a removable baffle , I use Stainless steal wool not Glass to pack,,,Keep blowing the Glass out lol !
viking-exhaust-system-for-honda-valkyrie-americanlisted_30194229.jpg

Makes sense! Sounded a little like when I cut the rear baffle out of my pipes and stuck stacks on it, but it seemed to have a touch more sound to it.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=183969#p183969:251w3qiw said:
Fstsix » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 pm[/url]":251w3qiw]
Wingrider , The Valk Headers are true performance equal length tuned , called Viking performance , they are no longer in business since 2007 , you can find them now and then on Ebay , I purchased new they were around $1.500.00 plus shipping 15 years ago , they have a 4" Truck stack with a removable baffle , I use Stainless steal wool not Glass to pack,,,Keep blowing the Glass out lol !
viking-exhaust-system-for-honda-valkyrie-americanlisted_30194229.jpg

I'm running a set of Vikings on my Valk. Ceramic coated inside and out. Even nice, used sets are still fetching some tall coin. They are highly sought after in Valkyrie circles. I'm a little embarrassed to divulge what I paid for mine, but I fell into an awfully good deal. More astonishing is that I hardly ever do that.

They accept the OEM collector shields - I had a tough time finding two nice ones. And I added Grumpy's tips to the glasspacks. I ditched a set of Cobras for these. (Got double for the Cobras over what I have in the Vikings!)

IMG_4195 - Copy.JPG

Desertrefugee . Your Vikings look nice and looks much better with the heat shield on, The Vikings came with a Jet needle kit for the tuning when i purchased for even better performance gains , Did you rejet or shim needle ? , you could find some extra grunt if so, They are hard to find just got to keep looking , The CBX has very Rare Racing Headers from Russ Collins RC Engineering Ca. He was the Inventor of the first 4-1 Motorcycle header that is so popular today. his hired help was 2 young lads named Vance & Hines worked under him back in the 70's , When i found this CBX in the back of a friends shop i knew it was a serious Drag bike when i seen the RC label on the header , and the Racing Kosman Spoke widened rims and Air Shifter and wheelie bar, lots of hits on the International CBX board around 10.000 so far of RC fans out there , The CBX here shown was a full time Drag bike stripped with only a tach , It is a hand full with the Aluminum sprockets low gear ratio ported head 1250cc and Mega racing cams ..Glad to put it back on the street , like to call it Pro street bike . RC Engineering . Gearheadgregg lol > https://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewforum. ... 9022190e4f

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=184089#p184089:3j1jphoq said:
Fstsix » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 am[/url]":3j1jphoq]
Desertrefugee . Your Vikings look nice and looks much better with the heat shield on, The Vikings came with a Jet needle kit for the tuning when i purchased for even better performance gains , Did you rejet or shim needle ? , you could find some extra grunt if so, They are hard to find just got to keep looking , The CBX has very Rare Racing Headers from Russ Collins RC Engineering Ca. He was the Inventor of the first 4-1 Motorcycle header that is so popular today. his hired help was 2 young lads named Vance & Hines worked under him back in the 70's , When i found this CBX in the back of a friends shop i knew it was a serious Drag bike when i seen the RC label on the header , and the Racing Kosman Spoke widened rims and Air Shifter and wheelie bar, lots of hits on the International CBX board around 10.000 so far of RC fans out there , The CBX here shown was a full time Drag bike stripped with only a tach , It is a hand full with the Aluminum sprockets low gear ratio ported head 1250cc and Mega racing cams ..Glad to put it back on the street , like to call it Pro street bike . RC Engineering . Gearheadgregg lol

F6 - My Valkyrie has a Dynajet kit in it and was jetted very well for the Cobra 6->6's. When I put the Vikings on, I raised the needles UP one notch - based on some rough IR readings I took before and after by the exhaust ports. Not very scientific, but the plugs are burning a nice, light tan and the bike runs very well. Happy camper here.

I was an RC Engineering disciple in the late 70's. A friend and I both did his 912 kits on our SOHC CB750's - his was the F Super Sport and mine the K model. We had a ball on those motorcycles. Collins was a genius/mad scientist all in the same package. I always lusted after a CBX, but was never fortunate enough to own one. Even "back in the day", it was a treat to see one on the street.

Sounds like you got it tuned ! Bet it runs strong ! So many people put the Cobra drag pipes on with out any jetting and don't realize they are losing about 7 hp , Sounds like you are a gearhead like so many of us here , My Valk stock was around 90hp after jetting and Vikings it was at 99hp . not sure if the Valk was BHP or RWH advertising , me thinks it was RWH ,,that would mean it would have 110/115 at the flywheel ? But the 97 early models had more HP than my 2001 model is the word , so 100hp factory rear wheel hp would have been correct advertising, The Dyno guy i use said he has done many Valks and Upper 80' to Low 90's is what most show on the Dyno he has seen, Big RC fan myself , Myself my wife and kids are all Californication Natives , I worked at Gardena ICE on Normandie ave LA down the street from Collins shop , I Just sold my 1978 CB750 F3 SS last summer 17k original miles , 12.72. factory 1/4 ,Picture in Long Beach Ca 1975 my K2 850 big bore Car tire rear..So much fun back then when life was simple and care free ! 16 years old when this picture was done .

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184096#p184096:1d013i44 said:
Ansimp » Yesterday, 12:55 pm[/url]":1d013i44]
Great pictures, stories and link to the CBX forum. :thanks:
Fun to share old stories and pics for the Holidays , too dang cold to ride up here in the North pole , Keep your pics and stories going Down Under so we can see Warm days, we enjoy them :hi:

Latest posts