Brake caliper/stuck hanger pins

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a surefire way of getting brake pad hanger pins unstuck. I've tried PB, WD and some gentle tapping. I'm working on four calipers and each has had at least one pin frozen in place. I learned the hard way that use of a hammer is not allowed/ don't ask how I know. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

They won't twist, I clamped onto them with vise grips but couldn't budge them. Weird, I've had some tuff ones before but four in a row floors me. I've been spraying them with PB mostly but I don't think it's able to get into where there stuck at.

If you are rebuilding the calipers soak them in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.

Try soaking them in a bit of coca cola. I know it'll eat a penny It might be acidic enough to derust. It easily washes off with soap and water.

I had to knock mine out of my frozen '82 calipers. I soaked them in ATF for a few days and then drove them out with a flat punch and hammer.

:thanks: Thanks all for the input, I just got all these out after multiple sprayings of PB and other penetrating oils and the use of a brass punch and small hammer :builder: . It's the old dissimilar metal problem, steel vs. alum corrosion. After cleaning them with 000steel wool and spraying with liquid graphite, they work like they should. Not bad, only one fatal casualty out of eight pins. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I don't know how good your graphite spray is Mike but I use nickel anti seize on all the sliding brake surfaces, just make sure that you don't get it on the brake pads or rotors.