Brake callipers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of well-founded interest, has anyone either done a calliper swap or know of one to upgrade the braking systems. I am looking for something in the 4 or 6 pot front brake system and a 2 or 4 pot rear.

the old GL's don't brake so well at the best of times so any improvement over standard has to be a good thing. :help:

+1 , I am in the process atm Ian but welcome like minded individuals, at the very least I want 82 front calipers with ebc relief slot discs. I keep thinking about some of the CBR1000f stuff but I am worried about exceeding the grip of a 110 wide front tire.

You might get some leads from Randakks page, He has some stoppies on his GL builds..Not shure what he uses..Looks like 2 piston calipers with some nice rotors.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121230#p121230:2ynnt624 said:
zman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:28 am[/url]":2ynnt624]
You might get some leads from Randakks page, He has some stoppies on his GL builds..Not shure what he uses..Looks like 2 piston calipers with some nice rotors.

Thanks all will look.
ian

I would think Brake Master cylinders with a larger piston at both front and rear brake master(s) should provide Better braking, that and SS braided lines.

I have a new set of Nissn brake masters on my shelf that have larger pitons but i have not installed them yet.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123493#p123493:v6fuj20g said:
westgl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:48 am[/url]":v6fuj20g]
I would think Brake Master cylinders with a larger piston at both front and rear brake master(s) should provide Better braking, that and SS braided lines.

I have a new set of Nissn brake masters on my shelf that have larger pitons but i have not installed them yet.

In my experience with the Cbr master cylinder smaller bore diameter means more hydraulic pressure. The Rats Nest stops better and doesn't bottom out the lever on the throttle, it is also adjustable for lever position.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121216#p121216:m4bae1ub said:
ianstaley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 pm[/url]":m4bae1ub]
Out of well-founded interest, has anyone either done a calliper swap or know of one to upgrade the braking systems. I am looking for something in the 4 or 6 pot front brake system and a 2 or 4 pot rear.

the old GL's don't brake so well at the best of times so any improvement over standard has to be a good thing. :help:
I don't know of any caliper upgrades ever done or attempted. So if you find anything please post. I'm very interested.

I have decided to go with 82 calipers and the EBC discs for the Rats Nest. I was considering the CBR calipers etc but decided I didn't want a system that locked up the front wheel too easily. The 82 that I ride seemed to stop a lot better than my 81. That said the brakes are working reasonably well on the Rats Nest atm for a heavy bike. :good:

Holes or slots, let gas & brake dust escape from surface of rotors,smooth rotors do not.Makes a big difference!

Hi Guys
New here first time post, trying to convert single side caliper (stock) front breaking system to both side breaking for trick.
I am having a soft or no pressure on lever, think I need a larger master and if so has anyone have any idears to what kind or year to use????>?

Welcome from Oz. I have currently gained more braking pressure with a smaller bore CBR master cylinder.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151253#p151253:3pyvlf85 said:
Marty1000 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:53 pm[/url]":3pyvlf85]
Hi Guys
New here first time post, trying to convert single side caliper (stock) front breaking system to both side breaking for trick.
I am having a soft or no pressure on lever, think I need a larger master and if so has anyone have any idears to what kind or year to use????>?
So you are wanting to link both front calipers and unlink the rear brake? It can be done I suppose. Soft or no pressure is usually air in the system.