brake rotor size changes on gl series

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickster

Reaction score
I bought a set of NOS chrome rotor covers for my GL1100a . Turns out the set I bought were too small by about one inch. does anyone know what changes there were in front brake rotor sizes through the years of the gl? Even though it was sold as for a gl1100, the box says late 77 on up gl1000.

And I guess, if anyone wants a set of rotor covers, these are for sale. :) $55 dollars shipped would work for me. Also, if anyone has a set of rotor covers that would fit my bike, please let me know.

thanks,
[email protected]

hmmm im thinking there just wong ...sheesh they moved rotors in and out from the wheel but not bigger ....illl look as i got the stuff out side to look at ...but im rather certain of what i said

You say you have a GL1100a - do you mean the GL1100Aspencade ? The 1983 AD version has vented whereas other models , and even other years of Aspencade , were not.This is pretty much unique in the Goldwing range . Those you bought for the GL1000 , and even them for the pre 83 1100`s , are different sizes. Does your bike carry single pot calipers or twin? Sorry to disappoint.

I am certain that somewhere within this forum there is a section that contains the interchangeability of parts within the Wing range. i.e a list of shared components between models - clutch plates , consumables etc complete with part numbers.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

Just to be clear, It is a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade with vented front brake rotors. I don't know the history of changes of brakes on goldwings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Can't tell if the calipers are single or duel piston since they are chrome covers over them. The disc rotor size is approximately 11 3/4 inches. The chrome disc covers are about an inch too small.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The '83 Aspencade does have larger rotors to increase the "swept area" according to the Honda Manual.

Attachments

• Brake Specs.JPG
    Brake Specs.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 180
It's interesting that the parts manual lists the same pads for all '82 and '83 front brakes, but the calipers, brackets and rotors are specific to the Aspys, with the caliper and rotor being '83 specific.

A jump from 148 to 160 sq. in. of swept area using the same pads? I guess they're angled more over a larger rotor surface...

Like you said, Joe - hmmmm

Steve83":139xvqmg said:
A jump from 148 to 160 sq. in. of swept area using the same pads? I guess they're angled more over a larger rotor surface...

Like you said, Joe - hmmmm

I always "assumed" this to mean the larger circumference equaled more available surface area per 360* rotation. But I don't really know.

My '83 Interstate front rotor is only about 10 7/8" in diameter. The brackets for the Aspy need another 1/2 inch of rotor clearance, and the calipers need to be deeper for the extra rotor thickness.

I thought the '82 Aspy uses the thicker, vented rotors with the same diameter as the Interstate and Standard, and the '83 went to the larger diameter. Now Carl's '82 has the larger ones... Confusing... Hey Carl, do you know if they are the originals?

Learn somethin' new every day!

Steve83":305n30c8 said:
My '83 Interstate front rotor is only about 10 7/8" in diameter. The brackets for the Aspy need another 1/2 inch of rotor clearance, and the calipers need to be deeper for the extra rotor thickness.

I thought the '82 Aspy uses the thicker, vented rotors with the same diameter as the Interstate and Standard, and the '83 went to the larger diameter. Now Carl's '82 has the larger ones... Confusing... Hey Carl, do you know if they are the originals?

Learn somethin' new every day!
They were on the bike as bought, have read that aspys were vented but can't recall were & yes they are riveted. :yes:

Latest posts