C5 threads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's all the C5 discussion / install threads?

Is there a special place for these?

I search C5 and nothing comes up. That ain't right!

I'm thinkin about this upgrade. Last I ckd the 1100 kit went in the back - had to pull the motor now you can use 1000 cams - specifically 75-77? 78-79 don't work? Or you can use the 1100 cams but they need to be drilled or some such?.... Def. like the idea of not pulling the motor!

Anybody got some 75-77 cams for sale? :BigGrin:

thanks

the C5 is so easy to install and to time , no threads are needed..... :Egyptian:
if you go that way it will be the best upgrade you will ever do. :music:
i have two and they make me smile...... :wave:
seriously, do it...
but, a small warning...... people will wonder about the slightly smug look on your face when you start your bike. and try as you may,
you wont be able to stop feeling just a little bit sorry for the poor buggers that havent got one.......... :good:

ok pony there are threads on c5 info ....on `1100s the rear drive iggy is not made anymore i dont think....and there is a cam stem adapter made to work on 1100 cams ....so you are faced with this as a mod ....early 75-77 cams is the ideal set up for sure in getting more punch from the 1100 motor ....past the cam situation install and timing the c5 is the easiest of all ignitions to set for oldwings and when it comes to 1100s its the only complete ignition available.....

as a user of c5 for yrs now .....it is simply the best ignition ive ever dealt with on anything ive ever owned .....i trust no honda wiring or switches on my c5 ..its totally separate and ran strait to battery and has its own switch ......

ive put on about 20.000 miles this season with lots of interstate work and it has been flawless ....same plugs have been in since first install 3yrs ago or more .....

my impressions on it are ....there has been talk that since the advance is set ...that when you are cruising that advance is not needed or good to have....thats to me has proved to be just doubting thomas stuff....truth is at what ever rpm if advance works best there under hard acceleration it also works best for cruising .....really just common sense on that ....

on my bike witch has it own fuel induction system .....that has been modded and dialed in to the 1200 motor that set up like a early 1000 motor ....and also very tall gearing ...in 5th gear at 30mph it turns 1500rpm and pulls great great there no problem and on the otherside of that ...at 80mph it turns 3900rpm and pulls like a freight train ....a three gear romp gets you over a 100mph quickly ...simply the best running bike ive ever had ....when it comes to firing the oldwing the triple spark c5 is the best one can do

hope to see you join the c5 club we have here !!!

I agree. The C5 was easy to install and my 76 pulls like a freight train with it installed.
Expensive, but worth it. After all the smooth, fun riding I got out of it this summer, the money spent has
been forgotten.

The forum search system doesn't work worth a damn with just 2 characters like "C5", but the Google add on search works really well for this. Type in C5 then put a check in the box to use Google search.

Thanks Dan

As they say Google is your friend.

I need to find me some 75-77 cams first I've looked on ebay - there is one set $ 75 or so... Sold separately.... Got a WTB out there elsewhere. I guess I'll post one here and ngw.

Must be a run on them now that C5 changed the location... :shock:

I had a 75 parts bike I let go of a yr ago. Doh! I hate it when that happens. won't be the last time...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163821#p163821:10zbq6l1 said:
dan filipi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:55 am[/url]":10zbq6l1]
Drill and tap your left cam is your other option.
Do we know of anyone who has successfully drilled and tapped a cam for a C5 yet?

Thanks Dan. That is doable.

Makes sense 78's work. I hear ya....on the early cams and want to go that route if I do this.

I had a 75 briefly. I rode it home. That thing jumped out the gate.

Sold it to a forum member who LOVES that bike.

The cam was surprising easier to drill and tap than I expected.
There was already a dimple in the cam center.
Most trouble I had was making the stud but the C5 kit now includes that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163826#p163826:1nxckfv3 said:
dan filipi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:24 am[/url]":1nxckfv3]
78 cams will work.

I used a drill press. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8217
Boy do I feel like a dummy! I missed that entire thread! :shock:

The 1100 cams I have don't have a center dimple so finding center it seems would be easiest while running the cam on the engine using a sharpie then starting the drill bit center of that. Thoughts on this?

Scribe will give you a more precise location. Even a piece of rough sand paper held on while it's running will show you where the center is.

Latest posts