Carb Adjustments

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I rode my bike into work this morning, its only 30 degrees but I just couldnt wait!

The one thing that I noticed is that after my ride my clothes smell like gas, I think the bike is running rich. So, could this be a simple pilot screw adjustment? I noticed it this morning just when the bike was idling. Remember, I simply set my pilot screws back to the original setting and made no adjustments after that. I was so excited the bike was back together that I just put the lowers on so I would be a little warmer in the morning. So you guys think I need to lean out them pilot screws? Also, it is still only highs of 48-55 degrees. Should I wait for slightly warmer temps before I mess with it?

hmmmmm ..well for sure its probably to cold to make much of this ...seems the cold could play havoc on the stock system carbs ....its not like icing only happens to single carb set ups ...not saying its icing up ...but the things that lead to icing in single set ups happen on stock to ...and causing enough trouble to maybe run bad ...or rich condition ...the whole idea that there is elbows in the intake runners and even more turn in the heads there self ...makes for a lot of surface area for gas charge to turn to raw gas ....id just wait a bit and ride ... for better conditions to evaluate ....

Right Joe, I was thinking about not doing much tuning until I can get a 65-70 degree day. The bike is running fine, not missing or anything like that. It just smells rich is all...

Agreed! As long as it's running nice I'd just run it. Look at the fuel lines and stuff for possible leaks. Cold weather tends to allow more connections to leak.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142802#p142802:3o32yg27 said:
slabghost » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 am[/url]":3o32yg27]
Agreed! As long as it's running nice I'd just run it. Look at the fuel lines and stuff for possible leaks. Cold weather tends to allow more connections to leak.

+1
Can you smell gas when you are riding? If so you may have an exhaust leak, I have a fine split on the rh header and I can smell richness and ATF when I add it while riding. Just make sure you don't have actual fuel leaking from the carb, lines, clamps etc :yes:

I have checked for leaks and there is none. Maybe I should quit standing behind the bike when I start it in the morning :smilie_happy:

Ill check the torque on my headers too. I noticed something coming from that area but I just chalked it up to various fluids and cleaning supplies that got on the pipes from all the work done this winter. Should burn all off.

Thanks guys...

Check your air mixture valve before you do anything. It is the most likely place to gather gum and bugger up the system.
Carb icing won't happen at low temperatures, it's a function of speed (venturi effect), pressure (low) and moisture (high) try taking off in an airplane at 88 degrees with 88 percent moisture and you'll get carb intake icing.
Your engine will run rich in cold dry air, as you're contributing less oxygen, in the form of moisture, to the stoichiometry.
Also cold temperatures make particulates descend, so you'll smell them more readily as they don't boil off into the ether.
Cheers,
Zaphod

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143135#p143135:87oe0owp said:
phavas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:32 pm[/url]":87oe0owp]
Check your air mixture valve before you do anything. It is the most likely place to gather gum and bugger up the system.

Air mixture valve? Are you talking about the pilot screws on the carbs or is there something else that I am not yet aware of?

It reads like he is referring to a single carb set up. I'm not sure. Ride the bike and enjoy. I always put 4-6oz of ATF in my fuel when I fill up. if you get a little too much in the worst that happens is it smokes. if it does skip the atf next fill up. The ATF makes it run better and keeps carbs clean.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143181#p143181:27uza7ep said:
slabghost » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 am[/url]":27uza7ep]
It reads like he is referring to a single carb set up. I'm not sure. Ride the bike and enjoy. I always put 4-6oz of ATF in my fuel when I fill up. if you get a little too much in the worst that happens is it smokes. if it does skip the atf next fill up. The ATF makes it run better and keeps carbs clean.

Yea, I always run ATF in my bikes since joining this forum. I have been riding and enjoying all week. Damn thing is running really, really well. Gitty up & go and the new brake system is sweet. Gotta lotta go, need a lotta whoa...

Seems to be not as bad now. Monday it was super cold. Also the bike was just put together so you know how that is. Start over analyzing things and finding problems that may not even really exist. As it gets warmer Ill keep an eye on it and if need be I can make some simple carb adjustments but I see no reason to chase my tail right now. Like you said, ride and enjoy for the time being.

We're talking about a GL1000 or GL1100 right? Or am I smoking too much Tequila?
There is an air mixtures valve with a little diaphragm in it in the front of the plenum slightly to the right of the air cleaner. If this thingie is gummed up it can cause all kinds of havoc with idle and stumbling. If we're not talking about these bikes, I'll go light up another case of Tequila.

Cheers,
Zaphos

i think you might be talking the air cutoff valve. No reports of any stumbling or idle issues. Just the gassy smell.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143217#p143217:3n1ipfm3 said:
phavas » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:05 pm[/url]":3n1ipfm3]
We're talking about a GL1000 or GL1100 right? Or am I smoking too much Tequila?
There is an air mixtures valve with a little diaphragm in it in the front of the plenum slightly to the right of the air cleaner. If this thingie is gummed up it can cause all kinds of havoc with idle and stumbling. If we're not talking about these bikes, I'll go light up another case of Tequila.

Cheers,
Zaphos

Gl1200. Still has an air cutoff valve but that's brand new. No running prolems. Just smells a bit rich