CDI boxes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 sets of coils for my 1100. I am not sure if the OEM set is on the bike or if the set in my basement is the OEM set. Any way the set in my basement set does not have a ballest resistor attached. The unusual thing about this set is one coil is marked AW 82 TRI the other coil is marked DW 82 TRI ?? The set in the photo from an '83 which has the ballest and coils that both marked BW 82 TRI. Not sure what's up with my basement set being marked differently. The screws on the AW set are a little burred like the screws MAY have been tampered with.

Another thing I keep thinking is if my bike was running terrible and a replaced the melted boxes with non melted boxes and my bike ran good how would refilling the bad boxes with epoxy fix the problem and allow them to work well on my bike again?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137070#p137070:px43plam said:
tuna » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 am[/url]":px43plam]
Another thing I keep thinking is if my bike was running terrible and a replaced the melted boxes with non melted boxes and my bike ran good how would refilling the bad boxes with epoxy fix the problem and allow them to work well on my bike again?
It won't. Those who have refilled boxes with epoxy still had good running motors. But the epoxy had melted out. Refilling with epoxy will not fix an electrical problem.

Hi all. About 3 yeas ago on my 80 I had the goo and changed to 82 coils and 82 sparkers no change I had a carb problem. I refilled sparkers and now carry them as a spare. I've had no problem's Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137084#p137084:5lglvhke said:
jpwinger » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:33 pm[/url]":5lglvhke]
Hi all. About 3 yeas ago on my 80 I had the goo and changed to 82 coils and 82 sparkers no change I had a carb problem. I refilled sparkers and now carry them as a spare. I've had no problem's Jerry

Good point if the running issue is not the spark boxes it could be the carbs. Thanks Jerry.

So should I be looking for a set of 82-83 coils with the resistor to eliminate the melting? I see that I can sub
1500 coils too but not sure where the resistor comes in. I am good at mechanical fixes but electrical things confuses me. I need pretty basic clear directions when doing electrical things.

I will add this....I am running '81 coils (with no resistor) with '81 CDI's but changed out my wires to 8MM High Temperature with Conductive Silicone Core and Silicone Jacket wires with a standard auto boot with my '83 engine and no melting to date!

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137126#p137126:2xrcu6lf said:
tuna » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:57 am[/url]":2xrcu6lf]
So should I be looking for a set of 82-83 coils with the resistor to eliminate the melting? I see that I can sub
1500 coils too but not sure where the resistor comes in. I am good at mechanical fixes but electrical things confuses me. I need pretty basic clear directions when doing electrical things.
That's what I would do, along with 82-83 spark units.

I know the boxes that I have number cast into the box. Mine are #200. Any idea what number boxes the 82-83
are?

I have been looking on eBay for coil packs and see a lot of so-so sets. But these units are about 30 years old.
I have seen how to stuff on using Dodge Neon coil packs and using GL 1500 coil packs. Anyone have any experience with the neon or 1500 coils? Would I have a stronger spark with one of these non stock coil packs?
Would I still need to work a resistor into one of these coil systems?

boy is this all unknown i reality tuna my guess is 1500 coils is the bast my knowledge this is right is 0 ....my other guess is the grey 2.5 ohm coils from dyna ...with the right resistor...and my best answer is to go to hondaman .com ..this guy is the best in this field and read his stuff

As you noted- these are 30+ yr old parts. Prone to give out like the ones you had.
Save yourself a lot of grief and look to put the c5 on. In the long run it is a lot cheaper and you know it will last for years to come.

I don't have a lot of money to spend so I am wondering I'd I could just buy the right ballast resistor and hook it up to the good coils that I have now? I think I need to now how many ohms the ballast resistor should have?

I think that since I am a total electrical nerd that maybe I should buy a coil set off an 82-83 1100 and a new set of CDI boxes. This is a simple swap that requires ZERO electrical knowledge and the new coil set should stop the melting of the CSI boxes. Hope this works. I burnt out the second set of boxes out in 5-8k miles with the 1980 coils.

Latest posts