Cheap valve stems...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost the stem on my front wheel yesterday riding home from my friends house. I remember a local tire chain posting a commercial regarding cheap valve stems from china(and how they would replace your stems for free). Now I have no idea when this particular stem was installed, but I'm sure it was defective. My tire pressure was correct when I checked a couple weeks ago, and I was cruising at 40mph on smooth pavement when it failed.

I suggest you take a look at your stems.

*Just in case your wondering, I was 3 miles from home and rode her home in 1st gear never going over 10mph. It was a surprisingly easy ride home, the bike is so well balanced. Now I get to replace both tires :mad: :mad: :mad:

~O~

I also remember reading something about a tire valve stem issue recently. Unlike you, I don't remember where it was I saw it, tho...
Thanks for the warning. My rear tire loses pressure in a couple of days time...now I gotta wonder if it's a bad stem... :sensored:

Glad to hear that it lost the air slow enough to where you didnt have to lay the bike down
So you were able to ride the bike home at 10mph on a flat front tire?

BigAndrew":1vpb45a4 said:
Glad to hear that it lost the air slow enough to where you didnt have to lay the bike down
So you were able to ride the bike home at 10mph on a flat front tire?
I was riding in a straight line when I lost the air, and bike wanted to stay bolt upright. I had to make large arching turns but other than that it was fine. I know I have to replace the tire, but it's amazing undamaged. I know that means nothing but I wanted to say so. vegaswingnut helped me out today, and he payed close attention the re-installation of the wheel, which seemed to make a big difference. He's of the opinion the PO had the axle too tight. All I know is I noticed a major improvement in the turns.

~O~

Latest posts