choices to buy a 84 or 87 1200.. Need help to decide

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndrew

Reaction score
The 84 aspencade is listed for $1300 which is a steal. He lists that it has 60,000+ miles
Doesn't list any problems with it

The 87 is listed for $1500 doesn't say how many miles or if its a interstate or aspencade
and how many miles are on it doesn't matter too much cause he list that it needs new speedo cable and rear brake adjustment

I was looking at a goldwing facts page goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm and there it says that the 87 has the best to date plush saddle to date, well except for newer models
Also it says the 86 model got an upgraded 500watt alternator, so I'm assuming the 87 does as well

So even tho without looking at them the 84 seems to be in better shape and is cheaper, I think it would be better to go with the 87 for the better seat and better alternator

So which do you guys think is the better choice? The 84 was listed today and won't be there long at that price and the 87 was listed 2 days ago
I guess I should go ahead and call both guys and get more details and their addresses

parts are interchangeable. so you might hope the 84 has a new stator(upgraded) and maybe even a nicer seat although for 200 you could almost get a seat.
seems like the only model I'v heard of to stay away from is the 86 SE because of the fuel injection problems.

be sure let us know how it goes...

I'd jump on either deal if they were close. Go look and buy what looks best to you or is left. BTW the 84 hydraulic clutch will fit the 1100 motor. Hurry! they won't last at those prices.

the 84 has the best touring gears ....also has the more simplistic ignition like the 1100s....hands down id go for the 84 if it was me ....seeing its the best deal and best shape ...the seating thing is just the seat ....i vote 84.... :mrgreen:

That's true, I guess I could upgrade the seat pretty easily, I assumed the 87's seat was maybe wider but probably isn't... Do either have linked brakes?

only the ltd and se-i have the high output stator to power the fuel injection all others have the 350w stator. replace the stock seat on either. all 1200 wings have linked brakes. the '84 uses a different starter than '85 - '87 wings. pulse generators moved but i don't remember which way but if they are on the front of an '84 they are on the rear of '85 - '87 wings

The '84 turned out to be in pretty crappy shape... The master cylinder had some apoxie stuff all around it to stop it from leaking but that didn't work, I guess it all leaked out at one point so when he re-filled it, he didn't bother to bleed it cause the front brake lever was going all the way down with ease so another words wouldn't brake worth a crap

And when i pulled up he had the battery charger on it, He claims he was listening to the radio while he was in the yard but it turns out the radio doesn't work... He has a car radio in the left fairing pocked kinda half assed in there. He installed some power amp thing in the right pocket that has a head phone jack that u can plug into an mp3 player or a smart phone like mine to play music

But since he seemed to lie about the reason he had the charger hooked up, and him telling me he has a 2nd battery wired up to the bike makes me believe something is wrong with the stator and maybe its not charging...

Also the fairing and saddle bags are from a 1100 aspencade, he told me that before he bought the bike, It had caught on fire and supposedly only the plastic pieces burned up like the fairing ect. and not any wiring...
The throttle response wasn't that great on it

the choke cable wasn't hooked up, he peeled of the polarized tint stuff off of the gauge cluster so you can read what any of the gauges are saying... At least that's what he's saying is wrong or does that sound right? I was thinking that could be true or maybe the light went out on it or they went bad and he didn't want to say that's what was wrong
It also has a small oil leak as well, Tires looked old, horn button was gone and it didn't work
He's also willing to part out the 1100 parts bike that the fairing and bags came off of for free if he can get his asking price of $1300

Not a bad deal if i was looking for a fixer upper i guess.. but i want a bike that needs only minor issues fixed or needs nothing.. so i can go to bike week which is coming up in 2 weeks

So im gonna try and leave work early tomorrow to take a look at the 87...

detdrbuzzard":gg34dfvj said:
only the ltd and se-i have the high output stator to power the fuel injection all others have the 350w stator. replace the stock seat on either. all 1200 wings have linked brakes. the '84 uses a different starter than '85 - '87 wings. pulse generators moved but i don't remember which way but if they are on the front of an '84 they are on the rear of '85 - '87 wings

Oh ok, So the 84 & 87 both have 350w stators... What about 1100's? are they 350watts as well?

BigAndrew":1rk98syf said:
detdrbuzzard":1rk98syf said:

Oh ok, So the 84 & 87 both have 350w stators... What about 1100's? are they 350watts as well?
if it is a 1200 wing and has carbs it has a 350w stator regardless of the year only the fuel injected 1200 wings got the 500w stator. and i bleave that the 1100 wings only have 300w stators. hope that info helps you bigandrew

detdrbuzzard":ij8twjom said:
if it is a 1200 wing and has carbs it has a 350w stator regardless of the year only the fuel injected 1200 wings got the 500w stator. and i believe that the 1100 wings only have 300w stators. hope that info helps you bigandrew

it does, Thanks :mrgreen:

rock42":39wc0nbm said:
so how was the 87?

The guy works nights so by the time i get off from work, i don't have time to go over there before he leaves. So i have to wait till monday when i'm off from work to check it out, Hopefully he hasn't sold it by then

There's an '83 on ebay with a current bid of $810 with one day left, he says the problem with it is the starter, He says...
ebay guy":39wc0nbm said:
The bike has starter issues the rollers behind the magnetio are cloged I tried to fie it but got wrong part off of e-bay and do not want to take it apart again. It does run and I ride it 5 days an week to work you have to push start it it will start very easly you can ride this bike anywhere
Not a very good speller :nea:

i think i might bid on it

Latest posts