Chrome

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob.lafady

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a good way, or any way really, to get rust and pits out of chrome without having said pieces re-chromed? I've noticed quite a few pieces gathering rust and such and I'm trying to decide how to deal it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Pits run deep into the base metal, nothing to do but re chrome if you have them, surface rust can be removed with different products, evapo rust comes to mind so does molasses.

By the way I recall someone saying they use aluminum foil to polish chrome and that it filled in tiny pits, kinda doubt it but if you try it let me know if it works.

I've been toying with the idea of getting into powder coating, I've got an old oven I was going to scrap out and guns from HF aren't that expensive, now may be the time to jump in. If I get good enough, I might be able to start a side bidness. The only reason I mention it here is I've found some "chrome" powder for this setup, if the results are even close to the videos, it looks pretty good!

Go for it! But build your oven outdoors and downwind of neighbors you care about. I've read the fumes smell pretty bad.

Never had the pleasure, :roll: but people that have done it, have told me, NEVER DO IT IN THE HOUSE!!! :nea:

Denver":8zozp6p2 said:
Never had the pleasure, :roll: but people that have done it, have told me, NEVER DO IT IN THE HOUSE!!! :nea:
That is what I understand as well, and DON'T USE YOUR WIFE'S GOOD OVEN! I happen to have an old oven from when I moved that will fit the bill for smaller parts, but things like exhaust and frames will have to be improvised.

Actual box can be expanded and still use the heater and controls from regular oven. cut out the back and install a box. remove the door and install a spacer then the door. Some rock wool insulation and you should be good for some pretty big parts.

Latest posts