Cleanable air filters

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Just a really dumb question about these, are all these re-usable filters basically the same ?? and can you use the same cleaner/oil on them ?? I have an airaid system on my truck and was wondering if you can use the cleaner from say a K & N filter ??
I would think you could :thanks: :thanks:
Winger 82 :hi:

I have a K&N for my wing.
its not a foam filter. more like cotton shaped like the paper filters.
I have seen foam type filters too..
and I dont know if I would put the same oil on two differnt kinds of filters.

I run a K&N.
They recommend their cleaner of course but beside that I wonder if some of the other cleaners might dissolve a foam filter. For a foam filter cleaner I'd check with a dirt bike dealer to get the right stuff.

You should be able to clean a foam element without damaging it with a dishwashing soap(Dawn) and water. Lather, rinse and repeat....

Thass my story, and I'm stickin wid it.... :yes:

Yup, pleated gauze filters like K&N can be cleaned with the same stuff. I would imagine that Airaid filter is like the K&N. Oiled foam filters, like Unis, can be easily cleaned with warm soapy water. I like to use regular cooking spray to re-oil the foam ones, not olive oil spray (WAY too oily!). Just make sure to roll them around in a paper towel and soak up the excess oil, so as to not mess up the MAF sensor. Given a choice, I like the dual-layer foam filters from Uni. They're usually about half the price of a comparable K&N, are good for the same amount of miles, are easier to clean, and aren't as rigid as a cone filter, so they can fit into some pretty tight spaces.

https://www.unifilter.com/online%20catal ... ersal.html

Uni filter I installed in a Jeep Comanche truck I used to have:
UniInstall4cs.jpg

Uni filter I put on my '95 Jaguar XJ6:
DSCN1225s.jpg

Latest posts