Cleaning carbs issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Friday I began the task of removing the carburetors for cleaning. I followed all the tutorials and instructions that were pretty easy to follow. When installing back the tutorial suggests that injects fuel to fill the float chambers as these obviously are empty. I disconnect the gas line from the pump but when I tried to do it was almost impossible to push the syringe. Apparently there was an obstruction. I connected the fuel pump and tried to turn the motor using starting fluid. When it started it had the famous knocking noise and trouble staying idle.

I removed the carbs once again to verify the contents of the float chambers. It had little or no gasoline. I checked the float needles and were moving freely with the movement of the float.

I went to install them and still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Make sure your fuel pump is actually pumping fuel.
Put a pressure gauge on it, should be about 2 lbs pressure while cranking a good speed.

When the carbs are out make sure the passages are clear from the fuel inlet hose to the needle seats.
Remove the needle seats and make sure the screen in them is clean.

You do have an obstruction, fuel should easily flow into the carbs when the float bowls are empty. There are a lot of passages the fuel must flow through to get to all 4 carbs, make sure they're all clear.
Check your fuel hoses for a blockage, and make sure the filter is free and clear. Also, make sure the inside of the tank is clean.
Hope this helps! If nothing else works, throw in a few dilithium crystals - that always worked for Mr. Scott!

dan filipi":35dm8ho3 said:
Make sure your fuel pump is actually pumping fuel.
Put a pressure gauge on it, should be about 2 lbs pressure while cranking a good speed.

When the carbs are out make sure the passages are clear from the fuel inlet hose to the needle seats.
Remove the needle seats and make sure the screen in them is clean.

Thanks for your reply Dan. I tested the pump output and I'm getting 3 PSI. I remove the drain screw of the carb #4 (it was the easiest one) and the float chamber is completely dry. The weirdest part of all this is that when the carbs was out I sprayed cab cleaner thru the inlet and the liquid flows perfectly for all passages. I'll remove again for 3rd time and triple check. (This could be a record)

Steve83":35dm8ho3 said:
You do have an obstruction, fuel should easily flow into the carbs when the float bowls are empty. There are a lot of passages the fuel must flow through to get to all 4 carbs, make sure they're all clear.
Check your fuel hoses for a blockage, and make sure the filter is free and clear. Also, make sure the inside of the tank is clean.
Hope this helps! If nothing else works, throw in a few dilithium crystals - that always worked for Mr. Scott!

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Scotty told me the same. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Praise God! The Enterprise is back in business!! :Egyptian: :clapping: :yahoo: :Egyptian: :clapping: :yahoo:

It was a newbie mistake. The carb diagram shows the float in certain position, but when I install them the carb assembly was bottom up, but the diagram shows the assembly bottom down. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: In shorts words the floats were backwards.

In 1 hour the final test... then .... Space: the final frontier. :moped:

Thanks for been so helpful always.