Cleaning Heads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I have a set of heads for my 1100 and, hopefully, this will get me back on course to finish my restoration after a long hiatus. What would be the best method to clean the face of the heads. You may be able to see some gasket material still there and I am hesitant to get ham handed to scrape it off. Also, there is some plaque on a couple of the valves. In the past I have used a wire wheel to clean them off, but that may not be necessary.

Your thoughts.

IMG_0294_zpss20zxsae.jpg

I think a new sharp flat razor blade is the best method, with any flat blade there are 2 sides, one side will dig into the material aggressively but if you flip the blade it will be a less aggressive scraper..I use the less aggressive scraper side unless I have a tough piece to get off ...the only way to find out which side is is which is to use it, if it digs in and is tough to scrape flip it over.
Seen a guy on a car restoration show using a 3M scotchbrite pad mounted to a drill motor came out great but didn't say what he used, I only knew what it was from sight but what grade was not shown.

I tried a scotch-brite pad by hand but it was not what I wished it would be. I have seen those for the drill. May run up to HF tomorrow to see if they have them. Will try the razor blade and that should work for the gasket material. Just have to be careful I guess.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175725#p175725:6g7kiyzd said:
wedoo2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:29 pm[/url]":6g7kiyzd]
I tried a scotch-brite pad by hand but it was not what I wished it would be. I have seen those for the drill. May run up to HF tomorrow to see if they have them. Will try the razor blade and that should work for the gasket material. Just have to be careful I guess.
Yes the blade is best, find the side that cuts best and take it easy and smooth, sometimes takes me 30 minutes to scrape a small head, position the head where it works best and try to lock it down somehow, maybe some wood clamps or something and go easy, if you get a tough patch skip it and go back to it or try the reverse direction..does take patience.

Good advice. Keep in mind the surface contacting the gasket must be flat. Any depression noticeable under a machinist rule must be checked for depth or just eliminated. Or the gasket will fail.

Latest posts