Confession

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
detdrbuzzard":22nvhvzu said:
Tory":22nvhvzu said:
detdrbuzzard":22nvhvzu said:
skiri251":22nvhvzu said:
LOL
Now I understand why they use female pronoun for motorcycles.

As for 2012 GW, I hear BMW tourer is much better. It (oh she) got electronically height adjustable windshield.

Start saving for 2014 or whenever the next major model change! :hihihi:
in some ways the bmw is better but in most ways it is not, i test rode the bmw last year also

I have to agree that the BMW is better.
The new 1600gt is the most incredible motorcycle Ive ever riden.I really believe honda missed the mark on the new goldwing.The cosmetic changes (To look more like a beemer) are not enough when the compatition offers most of the options as standard equipment plus power stands,power windshield standard ABS,throttle by wire and a much cleaner lay out and use of controlls.And man does that big inline six move.

I love my classic wing,but if I where to by new it would be the beemer.We wont even mention the dealer quality differance in Grand Rapids between the honda shops and Grand Rapids BMW.
according to bmw the 1600gt is a sport-tourer and the gtl feels like a sport-tourer with bigger bags

That is true,however in cycleworlds comparison it still won out against the wing.
"The 1600gt may only be 70% the tourer that the 1800 goldwing is,but the wing is only 30% the sport tourer the bmw is"

Lets face it,we all want a little sport to are riding or we wouldnt be riding motorcycles,and since the quality of the wing isnt what it used to be the HONDA loyalty just isnt earned anymore.

Sorry,not a huge 1800 fan,and extremely disapointed in the lack of improvements on the new japenese wings.Its time to look elsewhere untell the figure it out.

i like my oldwings ...honda pretty much abandoned them and cutoff the parts supply....so i have no loyalty to any of the moderin corporations out there has this kind of product support and cater to banking and gov and not the customers .....so me im never buying products from todays corporations or from countries where the gov exposed its people to mega doses of radiation instread of evacuating the people instantly .....flawed buisness and flawed gov leads to such stupid decissions that values the statis quo over life ....not me never ......

Just so you know...

From where I sit, typing this note, I can hear my girl. She's out there in the man-cave, purring, warming up for me. She wants me and I want her.

I must go now. Enjoy your day, fellas!

Mark

joedrum":32xjguxr said:
i like my oldwings ...honda pretty much abandoned them and cutoff the parts supply....so i have no loyalty to any of the moderin corporations out there has this kind of product support and cater to banking and gov and not the customers .....so me im never buying products from todays corporations or from countries where the gov exposed its people to mega doses of radiation instread of evacuating the people instantly .....flawed buisness and flawed gov leads to such stupid decissions that values the statis quo over life ....not me never ......

Hi Joe.

With due respect, I think evacuating the people instantly is easier said than done. Japan is a really tiny country with mountains. Not like the US with vast open planes. And it wasn't that easy for the US gov. either. Can you say Katrina?

As for the parts, I hear BMW is pretty good. You can still get genuine parts for 70s~80s motorcycles albeit very expensive.

More reason to buy 1600gt? :hihihi:

Tory":35cvhl9e said:
and since the quality of the wing isnt what it used to be the HONDA loyalty just isnt earned anymore.
I don't think Honda's quality has gone down any over the years. What I think has happened is everyone elses has caught up to & in someways has surpassed Hondas.
When I first started riding in 1977 I bought a 75 Honda cl 360 & put it next to a Yamaha 350 the differences in quality was night N day.
From 1977 to 2005 I rode nothing but Hondas. In 05 I bought the Yamaha Majesty & in 06 I traded my 95 SE for a Suzuki 650 Burgman. Thus having no Honda in my garage for the first time in my riding carear. I choose the Burgman over the SWing because of better protection & the Burgmans gear drive.
Now today I have 2 Hondas back in my garage. BUT their not NEW. Their older Hondas. My 98 Helix & now my 78 Wing.
I've felt for years that Honda has lost their edge in the motorcycle market. To me their lineup has gone stale. Its no longer "Follow the leader, He's on a Honda"
The New GoldWings are nice but awful spendy.
IMHO I think It would be nice if Honda were to offer NEW Mid size GoldWing say 1000 or 1100 cc's for those of us who do not want a big heavy bike with a HEAVY pricetag!

While I look, pet and drool over the newer Wings everytime I go to my dealer for some nick knack, I know they are nice to look at and probably very comfortable but I look at all the Tupperware, shake my head and think "How long would it take me to get that panel off in order to get to some thing-a-ma-jig". I am also partial to the styling of the older bikes. This is evidenced by the 5 bikes that I have brought back to life. All of them are tagged and insured so I can ride any of them at any time. Each one has it's own personality and seem to enjoy the attention that they get. Four of my bikes are Honda's starting with a '73 CB350F which is an absolute blast to ride, though it has a seat that is only good for about 150 miles of riding at a time. The next is '78 CB-400A Hondamatic, good bike, no shifting, great around town and enough horsepower for 70 - 80mph on the interstate. Rode this bike for about 450 mi. at one stretch before my lower 40 gave out. The next is an '86 CMX-450C Rebel, great weight to horsepower ratio. Great for short trips, but a little small for my 6 ft frame to be comfortable on long trips. This one is the one my wife has adopted and rides whe she gets a chance. My last Honda is my GL-1100i. I love this bike because it is a great, comfortable road bike, good for my 50 mile commute to work or for a long road trip and not feelg beat to s__t when I get there. My latest rescue is an '81 Yamaha XV750 - UK model which I picked up for $100 and have spent the past 5 months getting it back on the road. This bike is a good compromise between the nimbleness of my smaller bikes and the comfort of my wing. I'm not about to part with any of them anytime soon. BTW, the most I have spent aquiring these gems has ranged from "Free" for the CB350F to $1255 for the CMX450C Rebel. While I'd love to get one of the new Wings, I simply don't want the payments. I'll wait 20 years or so for one of these new bikes become affordable.

Well for me, it is ok but as ZI am very old school & think thart the 18's look like a Ducatti or some such & I don't like sport bikes, I will never have that problem unless Mother brings back a "Retro Wing". But I would be all over the possibility of a 1500 trike. Me Bad sorry Baby Blue. :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: