Coolant replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the engine was hot, I filled the overflow tank to between the low and high marks. It is in the same place this morning. So, it does not appear to be sucking the coolant back in. Now that it has been mentioned, I have never noticed the fan running. I would think, as hot as it got the other day, the fan would have come on. I hate the idea of tearing everything apart again, but I may have to.

When I was filling the tank, I let it run until there were no more air bubbles coming up. Evidently there are more? It's too bad the radiator cap can't be reached without all the disassembly.

I can agree, I sure would like the radiator cap to be in a more accessable place. On both of my bikes, I can start them and let them idle while keeping an eye on the temp gauge. About the half way spot I start looking for the fan to turn on. I notice about the same when stopped in traffic.

The other day when the fan didn't come on, that may have been due to air in the system. The switch will not work unless hot water is touching it. Same with watching the gauge swing up and down. First water goes by the sender, then air, then water, then air.

SUCCESS!!! I took everything apart again. When I opened the radiator cap, I could not see any coolant. I was able to add an additional quart. I ran it for a bit and saw no air bubbles. I put it back together and went for a 45 miles ride, across the prairie, up and down some good hills. The temp gauge never moved farther than the area where the white widens on the gauge. Right where it should be.

Now, on to a cruise control problem on my wife's Miata. :music:

pasvorto":29rgfm60 said:
SUCCESS!!! I took everything apart again. When I opened the radiator cap, I could not see any coolant. I was able to add an additional quart. I ran it for a bit and saw no air bubbles. I put it back together and went for a 45 miles ride, across the prairie, up and down some good hills. The temp gauge never moved farther than the area where the white widens on the gauge. Right where it should be.

Now, on to a cruise control problem on my wife's Miata. :music:
Not quite out of the wood yet! Check the hose on the overflow tank to the radiator cap! You might have a cracked hose, or more likely, the tee is broken off inside the overflow tank not allowing the coolant to be pulled in an out of the radiator. This is a common problem with 28 year old pieces! Also, the hose has been know to collapse on the inside or get mucked up with age and not let coolant flow.

I had a similar problen with my 80,, it kept showing temps at the top of the gauge.....I finaly changed the sending unit...problen solved ... now runs mid scale, all summer no mater what temp is :heat: :heat: :yahoo: :whistling: also check and make sure the fan kicks on amd runs i also had to replace the fan switch... :fiddle: