Correct way to remove badges

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken":2cjgqidw said:
I'm using rustoleum also, not at house to see full name but it's a 2x one also. Yes, I originally thought the crackle was the pinstriping but as you say it's the clear coat. Kinda messed up my first one during sanding, some small gouges I couldn't see until spraying it. Used a paint stripping wheel on second one and looks much better. Still no bike for this weekend, so I'll be restripping 1st try to do again. Only so much fun a fella can have with 2 side panels...

The faux tank is easy to remove--just for #10 (I think) bolts and you can wiggle it off.

Keep the tank cover in place when painting--just mask off the key lock, etc. If you remove the rubber gasket its a pain to put it back on.

Front fender is relatively easy to take off but remember to slide it backwards to remove it.

Rear fender is a pain to take off, especially if you have side luggage to remove also. I am not doing the rear fender until I get a day that is crappy to ride. We have a short riding season here in Michigan.

Good Luck
Simba

Thanks so much for the advice. I've seen your painting post and ur the man in my book. It's been about 5 yrs since I had a running bike so I am going crazy to ride and I don't expect to have the patience for much down time. Going to try to do a 'decent' job now and then go at it for best quality I can do this winter. Just planning on doing false tank, fairing, and whatever you call the little trim pieces by radiator. Fenders are chrome so going to leave them alone (at least for now).

simbaboy":18um92vi said:
The soft leather side bags are very faded but really bring a lot of character to the bike. I have decided for now the bags will stay.

I like them too! Maybe some black shoe polish, like that black liquid shoe polish that has the foam tipped applicator?

~O~

Omega Man":oavskjqp said:
simbaboy":oavskjqp said:
The soft leather side bags are very faded but really bring a lot of character to the bike. I have decided for now the bags will stay.

I like them too! Maybe some black shoe polish, like that black liquid shoe polish that has the foam tipped applicator?

~O~

Good Idea. I will certainly give it a try this weekend.
I might also put the emblems back on. The flat black redo can wait for a while. I have not tried pin stripping but may give that a try as you all have suggested.

Thanks
Simba

Ken":32asvsyc said:
Thanks so much for the advice. I've seen your painting post and ur the man in my book. It's been about 5 yrs since I had a running bike so I am going crazy to ride and I don't expect to have the patience for much down time. Going to try to do a 'decent' job now and then go at it for best quality I can do this winter. Just planning on doing false tank, fairing, and whatever you call the little trim pieces by radiator. Fenders are chrome so going to leave them alone (at least for now).

Enjoy your bike and don't go crazy trying to make it look like a professional painted it. You cannot get those kind of results with rattle can paint job.

Wash your hands with soap before you handle parts to be painted and gloves are best. An alcohol rub with cheap rubbing alcohol will remove any final oil/grease marks that you can't see. A good prep is essential. Sand under a water hose or faucet if you can. Wet sanding is good.

Good luck and please post your pictures so we can all inspire each other.

Simba

Got my bike back. Did pretty quick, not very thourough paint job. I was actually pretty happy with most of it, until I clearcoated. I can't seem to get the right spray technique. Either too little which creates a dust like covering that rubs right off or too much (in spots) which causes it to go hazy. I kept trying to sand and redo but now I am out of clearcoat for the moment and it's time to ride. I am thinking that some of that superfine paper like Simba was talking about might take care of the hazing but leave a decent flat finish. I'll work on it more tonight. Didn't get to the little fins around the radiator yet. What do you think? Just to look at it I think it's awesome with the flat black and all the shiny trim. If I can get that hazing taken care of I will be happy until winter when I'll take some time to do a thourough job of it.

I tried to attach pictures to this, but I don't see them or a link anywhere after I posted it...

Ken":ei3hmxwf said:
Got my bike back. Did pretty quick, not very thourough paint job. I was actually pretty happy with most of it, until I clearcoated. I can't seem to get the right spray technique. Either too little which creates a dust like covering that rubs right off or too much (in spots) which causes it to go hazy. I kept trying to sand and redo but now I am out of clearcoat for the moment and it's time to ride. I am thinking that some of that superfine paper like Simba was talking about might take care of the hazing but leave a decent flat finish. I'll work on it more tonight. Didn't get to the little fins around the radiator yet. What do you think? Just to look at it I think it's awesome with the flat black and all the shiny trim. If I can get that hazing taken care of I will be happy until winter when I'll take some time to do a thourough job of it.

I tried to attach pictures to this, but I don't see them or a link anywhere after I posted it...

we need pictures brother!
clear coating is difficult. I let the paint cure for several days before I even do it.
On my most current project (picture below) no clear coat yet.

Attachments

• GL4photo.JPG
    GL4photo.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 88
Yeh, I shoulda waited.... Good enough to ride. Oh look, I can upload pics using Chrome, IE wouldn't do it...

Attachments

• 227.jpg
    227.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 199.jpg
    199.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 231.jpg
    231.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 81
Hey I really like the flat black front fender with the chrome supports, I think I might be messing up some chrome this winter.

Thanks fellas. Took her out this weekend. Drove up to around Hickory NC via the blue ridge parkway on fri (close to 400 mile day) and back on Sunday. It's truly the beginning of a great love affair. I took a couple of pics of her on the pkwy, I'll upload them when I get home today. 5 yrs without a bike, all is right with the world again. Love it love it love it

here's a pic of the bike on our first wkend out, on a lookout on the blue ridge parkway

Attachments

• 2012-08-10 17.01.29.jpg
    2012-08-10 17.01.29.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 82

Latest posts