CQ CQ CQ de N2PPN (Hello to all from Rich N2PPN)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the DMR radio hooked up on the bike and took it out for a "field test"... Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) or MotoTRBO as it used to be called, is definitely better than analog on the bike!!

With the same power out (4 Watts) and same antenna (Diamond NR 770H) I am able to hit repeaters 30 miles away solidly! I was cruising around Jones Beach area while QSO'ng with stations connected to the K2MAK repeater in MANHATTAN. The radio puts PLENTY of audio into my SENA headset via the PRYME BLU BT583 Bluetooth adapter, so much so I may have to offset the audio output in the radio the next time I plug it into the computer to change the codeplug.

Any of you guys looking to get into DMR for your bikes, should definitely check it out at https://www.dmr-marc.net

73 de Rich N2PPN
DMR Motorcycle Mobile
3136335 (DMR ID for your contact list)

Nice to hear from you again Rich. I'm not a fan of radio of any kind on bikes but I love riding with guys like you. Comes in real handy if there is help needed.

Here is the DMR radio (Motorola XPR 6350) on the bike..

IMGP5222.JPG

The PRYME BLU Bluetooth adapter is the "thinghy" on the top right side of the radio (where the external speaker/microphone would attach).... it provides the Bluetooth audio to and from the SENA SMH-10 on my helmet, the Push To Talk (PTT) switch is on the left handlebar just to the left and above the headlight hi/lo switch and it connects to the PRYME Blu adapter via the cable on the top of the adapter...

The antenna connection is a SMA to BNC adapter so I can use the existing coax cable from previous radios I had on the bike...

Permanent DC power to the radio is still waiting to be installed as soon as "china post" gets me my battery eliminator for the Motorola radio... it will be connected to a DROK 10 Amp buck/boost switching power supply wired into the existing accessory circuit for the radios previously used... the DROK can be adjusted to put out constant voltage and current for anything from 9 to 48 VDC input for 9 to 40 VDC output at full load.... the radio draws less than 2 amps at 7.2 VDC and will never get near it's rated capacity.... I use this same regulator in my cars, so I know it works with no noise from the power supply...

Since I don't need to look at or see the radio (for obvious reasons) while I ride, the non-display radio works great, 16 channels in two separate "banks" of channels is more than I need for riding... Radio can go from 430 to 512 Mhz so GMRS, and FRS analog radios can talk to this one as well as Ham radios in the 430 to 450 band... so it is the best of both worlds, analog to talk to the analog radios, and digital to talk to the digital ones as well..

Rich
N2PPN

I had thought to be a ham radio operator as a kid but they required learning morse code back then. Might still. But the way my hands shake and did back then. I'd be the only guy stuttering in morse code.

Hi Rich,
I had a Icom 27A mounted on my BMW for many years.
I'm in northern NJ and hang out on the 146.985 repeater
if you happen to be passing through.

73 de George N2ELC :help:

Latest posts