Crankshaft seal leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazman

Reaction score
While doing some other repairs on my 1100 I have the covers off over the timing belts. I noticed a small amount of oil that appears to be coming from the seal behind the main pulleys (crankshaft). My question is whether this seal can be replaced without pulling the engine and breaking it apart.

The seal is pretty inexpensive so it is the amount of work that would be my main concern. If the seal can be removed with a seal puller and a new one driven in to place that is not a big deal. But if I have to pull the engine that is a completely different thing.

Has anyone done this and could you tell me what the procedure involves?

Dan...is there a lip or something on the casing to keep that seal from pushing back into the engine? My point/question being, if you happen to push on the seal too hard while trying to screw a screw into it, will it push back into the engine?
I have to do this sometimes on seals for transfer cases, and some of them will wind up inside the case, and I'll have to split it open...which is what I'm trying to keep from doing to start with! If there is a lip behind the seal, then that's not a problem.
I've found that drilling a small "starter" hole in the seal works much better, and keeps me from pushing the seal in too far before getting a good bite on the screw. :grin:

Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty sure this wouldn't be a tear down the engine deal but its nice to know before going in. The manuals are all pretty sketchy about it.

:salute:

Latest posts