Depression

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92820#p92820:8wpa8ypp said:
Bobo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:05 pm[/url]":8wpa8ypp]
Nope, no self-flagellation. I don't know if it's a "disease"; I do know that it is a form of mental illness. And I'm pretty sure it IS physiologically based, which does make it a disease. I consider it an "affliction", a "thorn in my flesh". Unlike this unfortunate young lady, when I need prescription help it does work for me.

The really important thing to get across to her husband and especially their kids is that she did not reject them, she simply rejected her own life, due to the pain she was experiencing due to her mental illness. It's like carrying around an extra 100lbs. more than others, every day; eventually you simply get too tired to carry it anymore. It simply wears you down.

Thanks! That will help.

The really important thing to get across to her husband and especially their kids is that she did not reject them, she simply rejected her own life, due to the pain she was experiencing due to her mental illness. It's like carrying around an extra 100lbs. more than others, every day; eventually you simply get too tired to carry it anymore. It simply wears you down.[/quote]

Well said! and no truer statement then (It simply wears you down.)

Sorry for your loss Brian. I have learned that depression is very common in this country. Those of us who suffer from it tend to hide it because of the stigma that is placed on a sufferer. The VA diagnosed me as suffering from depression because of constant pain. I didn't even know I was depressed, all I knew is that I was having severe anxiety attacks and could not sleep. As long as I take my meds, it is manageable. Prayer and faith in God have helped me as much as anything. I will be praying for you and your family.

I m so very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my husband when our son and daughter were teens. Let them know they are loved often. Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most. Please know by the many post you are not alone and we send love and understanding. May God help all of you through this time and in the future.
Mary

Thanks for checking Gerry, everything is pretty good considering...

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the Doctors saw some things that "just didn't look right" so they requested an autopsy. Usually that would not be a problem, but she passed away at the Philly hospital, so that meant the Philly medical examiner would be doing the autopsy and I guess it took some time to get to it. So that is finally done so her husband and children (and the rest of the family) can have a funeral. That is going to happen on Sunday, and I think that will be a big help for everyone involved. Sure the pain is hard to take but dragging it out for two weeks just makes it that much harder.

Her children continue to struggle with the fact that their Mom is no longer around and my wife once again amazes me with the amount of compassion that she has shown to our Niece and Nephew. Death is inevitable, but parents should not have to bury their children and children should not have to bury their parents as children.

From the bottom of my Heart, Thank You to all for the kind thoughts, wishes, and prayers during this time.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I too have suffered with depression especially after about a year after my open heart surgery. I was told this is normal which helped some but I was just existing, sleeping too much etc. My four grandkids are my life so I started spending as much time as I could, but they are not close by and access is sometimes difficult. I've since started a GW project...my first. It really has pulled me along. I've met new friends, learned new things and am having fun reassembling my bike. Now I wonder what the fuss was about.
I call it "Cycle therapy".

All the best, with great sympathy.
Kenny