Devils Wing...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yupperdoo

Reaction score
:doh:
Bought a naked 77 Wing last summer..."I'd ride it anywhere,no major issues,blah,blah blah".Higher miles but adult original owner.....mistaken trust...bike fired right up at sale,bit of roughness of stale gas/tuneup kind..bought it &hauled him home.Couple days later unloaded from trailer and was just gonna circle the block.....at the stop sign,front brakes siezed up,but with help from a handy tennis ball sized rock and tapping away,got em' freed up and headed home.Used rear brake tp stop by garage and it siezed up :( In checking reservoirs fluid looked/smelled wrong.....I suspect either OEM fluid(35yrs?)or hydraulic oil. So after a complete expensive strip/clean/replace/rebuild the STOP is working fine....OTOH...While doing the brakes,also went thru the carbs and and also fould a hardwired fan toggle switch wired back to battery.Wires to OEM thermo switch gone...pulled cooling fan(Good)radiator(good) replaced hoses and defective thermo switch&harness. So,all ready to go...SOB overheats to max(not the gauge)it's REALLY hot within a few min even at idle.Thermostat tested good when apart,no excess noise from water pump...???????
Anyone have any clues? Temp sender/gauge appear to be working right,System full of correct coolant and pressurizing at operating temp. I'm beginning to think this black thing is possessed!

yes if the bike has sat for long time unlike what most think and say its a big gamble on head gaskets ...when they sit the antifreeze just wreeks havoc on head gaskets and a lot will blow soon after running or down the road ...you have been catching all things rather well and fixing them if I were you id take heads off clean up in there heads and clylinders and I think you will be in good shape knowing the top end is sound ..I bet the head is leaking in water jacket and stopping flow of coolant is why its getting hot ...it don't take much to stop the waterpump muscle

Sounds like the coolant is not circulating. Did you happen to check the water pump while you were doing the other stuff? I mean like actually pull the lower hose connection off and SEE/FEEL the impeller? I've heard stories about pumps with metal impellers corroding the impellers to where there was nothing left to pump the coolant thru the system...

Thanx for the replies.
Thermostats not backwards,but,I see in shop manual theres a notation to make sure that it's oriented right regarding a"weephole" or such,need to check that.Will also check water pump innards.
Old coolant was clean/full and at -35,should not be any freeze damage or such.No sign of steam or water in muffler or exhaust output,so gonna hold off for right now on pulling heads.
As to overheat,takes a couple min for gauge to begin moving from cold start at fast idle,then gauge just slowly climbs to max in next 4-5 min and you can feel the heat radiating off the engine.
Don't believe the fan kicked on though...do they readily respond? Ie,on my Valk,fan seldom comes on except on hot days and slow intown driving.
------------------------------------------------------
PS: Brings to mind the old Suzuki"Water Buffalo/Tea Kettle"GT750s. One of the service points was clean/test run the fan.Often they found spiderwebs or stuck fans.Turned out that many never came on in most climates as engine ran so cool.Suzuki quit installing the fans except on hot climate orders,dealers were provided with kits for free installation to anyone who needed or thought they needed one and dressers.In 2yrs of driving mine never knew the fan to activate.

+1 on the fan! It should come on just past the 1/2 mark, maybe a little higher....depends on the sensor itself, as they don't all have the exact same calibration after 25-30 years. Also, on mine, when I changed the sensor for the temp gauge, it now shows a higher temp than it did before, so going strictly by the gauge may not be 100% accurate. However....the fan should definitely come on by the 3/4 mark. :heat:

I was just reading another overheat post and the engine wasn't overheating but the gauge was reading high due to the 7 volt regulator that powers the gauges. Could you engine be running normally and the gauge reading high?