Did I Pay too much????????

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the very first ebay auction that I actually won. I've used the "buy now" before but never won an auction.

Just a word of advice, be careful with that linkage. I had a set with the same setup and never could get it just right. I almost burnt up the tranny. Lost a gear until I went back to the pegs and regular shifter.

That's the same boards/shifter I have on mine...except for the rubber pads on the shifter. Mine no longer has those... :crying:
It took me a while to get used to the heel/toe shift, but it's like second nature now.
I'd say it was a good deal. :mrgreen:

plskthompson1":2m4o06en said:
Just a word of advice, be careful with that linkage. I had a set with the same setup and never could get it just right. I almost burnt up the tranny. Lost a gear until I went back to the pegs and regular shifter.

Thanx guys. Relating to the above quote, Is there a special way to mount them? Special adjustments? Need-to-know instructions? :rtfm:

The primary issue is making sure that the heel/toe shifter fully engages your shifter. If there is too much play, you will grind and bang your gears by not fully engaging the internal shifter fork. I had a set of Wing Leader boards and shifter and found it jumping out of gear alot. Rmoved the boards and heel/toe shifter and bought a regular shifter again with no more problems. (I also did not like scraping the flloor boards on every hard turn, but they are great for long distance riding!)

I just never did get it dialed in exactly right. I ended up putting the pegs back on, but I have another set of boards that connect to the shifter with a fork style heel/ toe piece that I plan to put on.

I love my floorboards with the fork style heel/toe shifter. I bought one of the cheaper models from an online store in Canada. As for scraping when turning hard, mine does as well. There's a thick metal plate/bar on the bottom of each one of my boards that take the scrape when turning too hard. I hear there are magnesium bars you can put under the boards to throw a bunch of sparks when you take a turn...that would be kind of cool.

just need to remember that when you are hooking it up you need the shift rod to move in the same way as without and a regular shift peg on.. the shift is clockwise for down and counter clockwise for up on the shifts.. it is easy to reverse the pattern by the wrong pivot point and shift peg attachement.. do you know some one with a GS 850 suzuki??? The shift connection are hooked up similar.. or look at an on line fiche for the gs 850.. say early 1980's.. and see how the exploded looks..

Polish them up and they will look great. As you get older, the boards are better than pegs.

I find power shifting almost impossible with the heal/toe shifter; but then it's a goldwing not a crotch rocket!

I like my fork style. need heel-toe as my ankle was messed-up in a old bike accident.
so the boards are the answer for me.
mine have short links that hook to a exhaust bolt on each side. some of these are different lengths I found...
the bike I took the boards off had shorter links... I had to make a set for my bike.. but was easy enough.
take a look at them closely from the front and back to make sure they are level... I put the boards on with the links I got and they were tilted up ...
anyway.. works great now..

Well, they went on great and only had to do one adjustment to the shifter and it was done. I did weld a 1" extension on the back-end (up-shift) side that alows me to shift quickly and fron various angles. I'm glad that I did get and install them I think they look great and I highly prefer the boards to pegs. Now, the backrest wants some for the feet. Time to go to Ebay!

jdegase":dsq2bj4r said:
I like my fork style. need heel-toe as my ankle was messed-up in a old bike accident.
so the boards are the answer for me.
mine have short links that hook to a exhaust bolt on each side. some of these are different lengths I found...
the bike I took the boards off had shorter links... I had to make a set for my bike.. but was easy enough.
take a look at them closely from the front and back to make sure they are level... I put the boards on with the links I got and they were tilted up ...
anyway.. works great now..

You got any pics of the change you made?? can you and detail the changes??

I'll see what I can do for a picture, but the bracket was a simple "L" bracket that gave the mounts a 3rd point to mount to...
it connected the boards to one of the exhaust studs up close to the front on both sides...

check out the for sale items as I am parting out an 83 and have 2 sets of rear boards and 1 set of front boards I am going to sell.the chrome isnt the best but they could be sandblasted and painted