E-mail Trojan/virus warning.(Not a joke)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
If ya'll get an e-mail with a subject line similar to this one, do NOT click on the "Print label" button. Best to simply delete BEFORE even opening the e-mail. Once you click on the Print Label box, it d-loads a trojan, and wipes your hard drive...then they try to sell you a program to get it all back. Just a heads-up....
The one I got was a UPS....they have also used Fed-X, USPS, and other delivery company logos. I got enough smarts to not open stuff like this, but I researched this one a little, and it's pretty bad...DON'T OPEN IT! :laptop:

Your delivery status is changed
upsvirus.jpg

I never open junk like that.If it comes from a company I know I'll go to their website from my own links.

Hi guys,
I fight these things all the time. done this for many years.
This particular BUG is not a new one. I'v found references to this "upsvirus" from 2008. This type of scam has been going on for a long time.
This is a fraudulent attempt to infect your computer with some sort of malware.

Virus, is almost non-existent anymore since anti-virus programs have almost entirely eliminated exploits that virus makers would use to infect your system.
What I deal with these days is technically not virus, its MALWARE or ADWARE. Although a virus could be classified as malware, not all malware or adware are actually virus.

did I totally loose ya? Sorry, heres a definition.

Computer Virus:
Code:
 A computer program that is designed to replicate itself by copying itself into the other programs stored in a computer. It may be benign or have a negative effect, such as causing a program to operate incorrectly or corrupting a computer's memory.

just like a virus in the body, a true computer virus can replicate its self and multiply.... spooky stuff. virus signatures are very small.

virus were written to show off, or to show software companies weaknesses in there code.
mostly the people who wrote virus code were wanting to be acknowledged for there skill.
not making these people out to be hero's but some antivirus, and code writers "programmers" got there positions by showing how poorly others had written code.

these days malware is mostly adware. and malware creators are entrepreneurs trying to make money.
adware is written to redirect you "usually unknowingly" to advertisements or sites that pay the writer a small amount for each (click) veiw.
redirection is a common practice even by legitimate companies now.

a trojen is just a wrapper.
ha ha haa... ok but seriously
a trojen is so named because it encases and hides whats inside. trojens work on triggers, something will trigger the trojen to copy its payload to a location.
"droppers" can copy there payloads to many locations with many differnt triggers. this mimics a virus ability to "reproduce".

so a adware infecion encased in a trojen with dropper capabilities COULD be mis interpreted as a virus.
but they are not the same.

virus scanners will usually scan your emails and attachments and will even identify most trojens before they can trigger there payload.
even free antivirus programs!
avast is my preferred AV. as long as they stay free.
malwarebytes makes a great malware scanner.
with these two tools you should have no problems avoiding most malware.
also friends who can help spread the word Do not open attachments you dont expect.

just a shameless plug.
I also do remote cleaning and tuneups if you have a high speed internet connection and still have internet access I can usually do a cleanup remotely.

Good information Jim! Looks like you know your stuff! :clapping:

Can I pick your brain for a few minutes? My main computer (which I built) is about 12 years old, well maintained and up to date software but it's performance is starting to drag. Lots of fans running, no dust inside, processor thermal paste is good, no temp files, defragged, 60% left on HD. It would appear the system is having difficulty processing I am assuming because of age? The reason I ask is because I have a 14 year old IBM laptop with Windows 98 that works exactly as it did originally...except if you connect to the internet where it will slow down.

I am trying to determine if my main computer is suffering because of the excesses of IE8 and how the internet is requiring so much resource to work, or is it hardware failure on the horzion?

Like most people, finances are tight and we have to prioritize every dollar.

Any comments? (BTW, you are not bound by any advice or suggestions! :mrgreen: )

+1 on the Avast and Malwarebytes....
I have a couple of other AV programs, but these two pretty much keep my set-up safe, and illness-free. :laptop:

Thanks for the schooling there, Jim....makes it easier to understand now. :thanks:

I find Windows software is the number one culprit in computer slowness with all the updates and ever increasing overhead, most updates are good by addressing security vulnerabilities and eliminating bugs but many are bad which can bring a older computer to it's knees.
A fresh Windows 7 install is very fast. Get all the updates and it slows.
Let's not even talk about wares or file and music sharing software, if your visiting those sites better plan on a reinstall of the OS sometime soon.

I just finished building 3 computers and installed a 120GB solid state drive (SSD) in all 3.
I installed one in a laptop that's about 5 years old, the SSD increased it's speed easily 10 fold which has saved it from the scrap heap. ALL my computers now have SSD's. I believe it's one of the most valuable pieces of hardware anyone can upgrade (besides increasing RAM).

One problem my inlaws have is they manually put their computer to sleep or shut it down when their done with it.
Fine they want to save electricity but the virus scanners never get a chance to run and updates never get installed.
I guess that's why they have my son and I, to clean up their mess.

I didn't know that, I always shut mine off, so I need to leave the computer on 24/7 is what you're saying, just let it idle.. :shock: Wow learn something new everyday on here.. :shock:

littlebeaver":3gt0z90r said:
I didn't know that, I always shut mine off, so I need to leave the computer on 24/7 is what you're saying, just let it idle.. :shock: Wow learn something new everyday on here.. :shock:

Your software also has to be configured to download and install updates automatically if thats the way you want it or you should do manual updates so they DO get done.

dan filipi":10pdzskp said:

I just finished building 3 computers and installed a 120GB solid state drive (SSD) in all 3.
I installed one in a laptop that's about 5 years old, the SSD increased it's speed easily 10 fold which has saved it from the scrap heap. ALL my computers now have SSD's. I believe it's one of the most valuable pieces of hardware anyone can upgrade (besides increasing RAM).
Does using the SSD drive help with Win 7 AFTER the updates are installed?

I am still debating newbuild or store bought. My build has lasted 12 years. The store boughts seem to die long before that.

mcgovern61":1omxwetf said:
dan filipi":1omxwetf said:

Does using the SSD drive help with Win 7 AFTER the updates are installed?

I am still debating newbuild or store bought. My build has lasted 12 years. The store boughts seem to die long before that.
The updates didn't slow them at all. Just incredible the difference an SSD makes in smoothness and speed.
Yeah know how when you first open a browser or program after a reboot and it loads slow because it's not loaded to memory yet but the next time you open it it loads fast? With an SSD, everything loads like it's already in memory.
I can't say enough how great they are. I couldn't imagine going back to a platter drive, even the 10k rpm Raptors are too slow in comparison!

As far as build or buy store bought, I will never buy store bought again.
My son's build is a i7 2700 we built for around $600 less than a comparable speed anything off the shelf.
My last build I'm on right now I built for about $400 less.
Building your own gives you upgrade options in the future. Many of the store boughts like Dell and those are proprietary and can't be upgraded much if at all. They have planned obsolescence built in.

Why your next computer upgrade should be an SSD.

128GB SSD by Crucial (I got one on sale for $79 shipped)

If you want to talk parts and what to get, I'd be happy to. My Son and I have researched quite a bit.

mcgovern61":1t92fj51 said:
Good information Jim! Looks like you know your stuff! :clapping:

Can I pick your brain for a few minutes? My main computer (which I built) is about 12 years old, well maintained and up to date software but it's performance is starting to drag. Lots of fans running, no dust inside, processor thermal paste is good, no temp files, defragged, 60% left on HD. It would appear the system is having difficulty processing I am assuming because of age? The reason I ask is because I have a 14 year old IBM laptop with Windows 98 that works exactly as it did originally...except if you connect to the internet where it will slow down.

I am trying to determine if my main computer is suffering because of the excesses of IE8 and how the internet is requiring so much resource to work, or is it hardware failure on the horzion?

Like most people, finances are tight and we have to prioritize every dollar.

Any comments? (BTW, you are not bound by any advice or suggestions! :mrgreen: )

I have found many older systems to benefit the most from maxing out the amount of ram. seems more current programs are more memory hungry. win7 seems to manage the memory better but still needs plenty to run well.

it sounds like your system is still in good shape. and if you built it, it probly has better components than many off the shelf computers.
ram is usually the best bang for the buck.

keep us informed of your progress.

Latest posts